• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Tried my first fresh habanero

... If I can call it 'fresh' as I bought it from the grocery store.

All this talk about habaneros being hot, I had to try it. I bought an orange and a red, tried the orange.

It wasn't as hot as I thought it would be, not much more than a jalapeno. Kinda disappointed.

I still want to try to grow some JHC this spring.

Just thought I would share my observation.

thanks for listening :)

some times habanero can get really hot if you grow them in dry weather and the will not be as hot at the grocery store too much fertilizer and watering makes it mild, also there are many differant strains for the orange habanero with differant heat levels. so wait till you grow your own hanaberos and you might find them hot enough.

New Hampshire? There is a growing season I don't envy. I have a bunch of Caribbean Red Habanero Seeds and can gladly send you some. PM me with an address to mail to if you are interested.

All this talk about habaneros being hot, I had to try it. I bought an orange and a red, tried the orange.

It wasn't as hot as I thought it would be, not much more than a jalapeno. Kinda disappointed.

Hi Pepper Girl,

You might have got a dud, as unfortunately the orange habs are not at their best in the supermarkets at this time of year.

Try the red one and hopefully that one will be more satisfying for you in the heat department.

And as the others have suggested, maybe try and get an early start on seed starting for your own hot pepper harvest for next summer.

dvg

New Hampshire? There is a growing season I don't envy. I have a bunch of Caribbean Red Habanero Seeds and can gladly send you some. PM me with an address to mail to if you are interested.

True ,but I'm in Maine and our habaneros did great this year.

Yeah store bought habanero tend to be weak. Some I got earlier were actually milder then some of my home grown jalapeno, which was a shock.

True ,but I'm in Maine and our habaneros did great this year.

Yeah store bought habanero tend to be weak. Some I got earlier were actually milder then some of my home grown jalapeno, which was a shock.

It was a great year for some for peppers, somehow around here there has been talk of disasterous pepper crops ( even my sweets didn't do well).

Interesting that the growing season was that different. I'm in York county in Maine so we're pretty near each other.

Interesting that the growing season was that different. I'm in York county in Maine so we're pretty near each other.

It was really strange, I don't understand it.

It was sooo hot , perfect for peppers. My peppers just sat there, flowering, keeping their flowers forever, not producing any fruit.

Same for apples, there were some orchards that got hit with a frost this spring and lost all their apples, others that didn't and had an awesome crop.

Odd year, really. We just can't predict or assume. Which makes me respect growing even more than I do now.

Our season really is too short, I might do mine in covered containers next year.

Btw, grew up in boob, lol.

Yeah I lost all my apples to frost this year too. The asian pear tree did fine, though they looked pretty gnarled from the frost.

The peppers not setting sounds like a soil issue. Have you grown in that spot before?

If your pepper flowers are not setting, you may need to add some calcium to your pots or spray them with roasted eggshells or shrimpshells disolved in vinegar(diluted solution).

It was really strange, I don't understand it.

It was sooo hot , perfect for peppers. My peppers just sat there, flowering, keeping their flowers forever, not producing any fruit.

Same for apples, there were some orchards that got hit with a frost this spring and lost all their apples, others that didn't and had an awesome crop.

Odd year, really. We just can't predict or assume. Which makes me respect growing even more than I do now.

Our season really is too short, I might do mine in covered containers next year.

Btw, grew up in boob, lol.

Yeah I lost all my apples to frost this year too. The asian pear tree did fine, though they looked pretty gnarled from the frost.

The peppers not setting sounds like a soil issue. Have you grown in that spot before?

Asian pears did great here too.

There were ditch lilies I spent all spring digging up to make room ( 5 x 10 ). I amended the soil (without doing a soil test, my bad) and added composted cow manure, humus, about a dozen or so egg shells, coffee grinds with filters. I might have even added seafood broth with an expired expiration date at one point in the summer.

In the front of the house, I planted some some hot cherries I got from a sketch greenhouse up north (they had so many dead plants around, I had been searching forever around here for a hot cherry plant, and nearly choked when I saw those pathetic little things ), and added just composted cow manure during planting and a little epsom salts around them. Then they kicked up and started setting fruits, but I couldn't wait long enough to taste them and picked them green just to see what they tasted like at that stage. I wished I waited.

I did read to add match sticks to the soil, peppers really like the sulfur.

I will definately try those tricks next year. What does the vinegar do?

Vinegar disolves the eggshells and shrimpshells, so the solution can be sprayed (after dilution). Eggshells and shrimpshells are composed of calcium.

Update on trying my first habanero:

I didn't mention I just took a bite off the end.

The next day, on an empty stomach, I popped the rest in my mouth, seeds and all.

Yiiiiiikes!!!!!!!

Next time I will eat bread or something first, lol.

I won't talk about when that little thing made it's departure....

Yowza!!!!

Orange Habs aren't as hot as I would like them to be. If you want good heat that you love, go to any Indian Grocery store and get Thai Hots. They would be abt 2.75 a pound.

They are real scorchers. 

Back