• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Tried to dry whole Bhut Jolokia fruits, failure?

I personally only get the aroma of the hot peppers without the heat going into the air when I'm dehydrating pods. My family and I actually love the smell from a full load of chinense peppers. 

Regarding the aroma..I had a new (small, two plants inside) batch now of some twenty fruits of which six were 7 pot brain strain and the rest Bhut chocolate. I cut a slit alongside each fruit and upon treating the Bhuts so I noticed the floral smell. It wasn't "sickly sweet" like the ones I tried to dry whole for a week and then cut up (in the op) but it was distinct. The 7 pot brain strain didn't smell floral at all, they smelled like "attack" and I started sneezing and coughing. Once frozen I'll pull them out of the freezer, let them thaw presumably and then put them in the drier at speed 1 for a week or whatever is required.

chelicerae said:

I received that advice from two posters on page 1 : )

(Thawing is inferred)

Ah, I see.

Anyway, I have always had success drying whole pods. I suppose that high temperatures and patience are my friends.

alkhall said:

Ah, I see.

Anyway, I have always had success drying whole pods. I suppose that high temperatures and patience are my friends.

Better climate and or dryer as well as patience I guess.

Anyway, thanks again for all pieces of advice, the strategy I outlined above worked well. It's been exceptionally hot here so seven days spent on the balcony daytime and in the drier, speed setting 1 during the nights, yielded dried Bhuts that aren't discolored. I made a salsa out of a small one according to a recipe I found and I really enjoyed it (except got a bit too carried away with the blender so it was more of a purée than a salsa), it tasted like summer with a lasting sting.

Attachments

• DSC01653_01.jpg
    DSC01653_01.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC01675_01.jpg
    DSC01675_01.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 77
I have dried them in halves once fresh or after smoking, and they dry out in one day, primarily for making powders.  to keep them whole, I would still cut a slit down one side.  I can see freezing if you need to store them temporarily while the dehydrator works through a large harvest.

chelicerae said:

Better climate and or dryer as well as patience I guess.

Anyway, thanks again for all pieces of advice, the strategy I outlined above worked well. It's been exceptionally hot here so seven days spent on the balcony daytime and in the drier, speed setting 1 during the nights, yielded dried Bhuts that aren't discolored. I made a salsa out of a small one according to a recipe I found and I really enjoyed it (except got a bit too carried away with the blender so it was more of a purée than a salsa), it tasted like summer with a lasting sting.

The climate, maybe, but since I always dehydrate in the house, I really do not believe that has much effect.

Dehydrator, possibly. This is what I have: https://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/excalibur-9-tray-no-timer-solid-door.html

Anyway, I am glad to see you were able to get the peppers dried.

Back