• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Trinidad Scorpion Appreciation Grow Event 2010

would love to see pics from those that got seeds from me...hope they are all doing well...

Hey there AJ,
I've got two plants going from the seed you sent, thanks again for sending it my way. One is in intensive care. The other is doing fine, but it was hurting for a while. I'm 99% sure my issue was related to the watering schedule. I've got them on the same flood table as my Bhuts and Sevens and they just can't keep up. They get flooded once a day in the morning and everything looks great except the Trinidad Scorpions. Before I moved them from the table they turned very yellow. Now I hand water them every other day and they are greening back up. The two plants from you and one from Josh yellowed up the worst. I've got two others on the table that are 2nd and 3rd generation from ButchT and they are doing a little better, but clearly they would like it a little drier. Next season I'll have to build another table just for the Scorpions or probably just grow them in soil.

Also, the Scorpions wouldn't set pods until we had some heat. The Sevens and Bhuts took a while, but the Scorpions needed it even hotter.

Here's a shot of one I grew from your seed. It's coming back nicely now that I've let it dry out a little bit:
IMG_8857.jpg

I've also got a 2nd generation ButchT in a DWC bucket. I added a second bucket to make adding water easier now that I've tied it up for support. The second shot is a pod from the same plant.
IMG_8839.jpg

IMG_8852.jpg

The first ripe red Scorpion is from Josh's seed. Thanks Josh. It's the plant on the left in this photo. In the middle, back is Yellow Scorpion CARDI, and on the right is one from AJ:
IMG_8848.jpg

Nice plants everyone, keep the photos coming!

Here's where I'm at right now. These are 4 of the 7 seeds you sent me. No fruit production yet, they just recently started flowering. Otherwise the plants are very healthy. This is probably the crappiest summer I've ever had to deal with! Like I said in another post a minute ago, it feels like I've been over-wintering all summer long....
IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0033-1.jpg

This thread was hard to find. Looks like slow progress on peoples Scorpions. I'm getting tons of ripe pods. Here's some nice shots of them ripening up:
IMG_8913.jpg

IMG_8910.jpg

IMG_8906.jpg

I'll go back and read this whole thread, but to save me some time, did we ever decide on some sort of competition?

Edit: Found the details on the first post. Pretty and Ugly pod competition, Red, Yellow, and Other photos by 11/15 w/ a scale. Simple enough.

well, it looks like I am way behind everyone else when it comes to ripening...my pods just started setting about 10-14 days ago...sure hope the first freeze does NOT come early this year...if it does, I'm screwed...

here are three shots of my scorpions...

100710a001.jpg

100710a002.jpg

100710a004.jpg

for those of you that got seed from me...

I have noticed something over the past two seasons and really paid attention to it this year...some of my scorpion plants were/are very magnesium/calcium hungry...the leaves had an extreme varigation look to them...but with a couple of good doses of Cal/Mag plus, they greened up right nice...now what I have found is this...the plants with the varigated look are producing pronounced stingers while the plants that did not have the varigated look are producing fatter pods...most without stingers...

anyone else notice this?

Yep, I got only one plant from you AJ. It definately needs more cal mag. I thought epsom salts would work.. It helped but the flowers kept dropping off. After giving it some bone meal it is looking pretty good. I am noticing stingers on all pods but some are slightly curved and more pronounced. I'm looking for a nice camera for pics. The 'ole camera phone isn't gonna cut it. Thanks again AJ..... I hope the pods ripen before the frost!!!

Well, I have some stingers. If only I could get these things to take on a little color. I brought one plant inside in case the frost killed the other. Neither plant has a hint of color besides green. Even the Bhuts have turned red already, what is taking so long?

DSCN1049.jpg

AJ, here is a T Scorp plant from your seed I got from OrigamiRN as a baby and just this week set it's first pod. It was started I think in late April. It's been flowering and dropping for about a month now and finally set it's first pod.

23vgtvs.jpg

T Scorp on the left and Brain Strain on the right when I first got them.

25im4np.jpg

Here it is today, got lots of flowers starting, hope they don't all drop, but it's finally cooling off here so maybe that will help.

vo8m1d.jpg

I've been getting tons of flower drop also! BUT on a hotter note!! On two of my plants I finally have fruit!!!!! I'm gonna duct tape the fruiting stems to the main frame so they don't drop!

And ZanderSpice those look beautiful...

Nice idea :onfire:

I still participate?

Photos are fine? or should I add something else?

T.s. red pretty other colour

post-160-1253087226.jpg

T.s. chocolate ugly other colour

AISPES.jpg

T.s. yellow pretty yellow

26.09%20083.jpg

T.s. yellow ugly yellow

post-245-1284888556.jpg

Great pods there megamastger71, but In my opinion #1 is ugly and #2 is pretty. Thanks for posting these now. It saves me time photographing my pods because I don't think anything can top that last yellow. That a fantastic specimen. Nice going!

Well I didn't get these posted by 11/15, but they're not much to look at anyway. I had some beautiful red and yellow scorpions this year, but didn't get great shots. Here's some of what I grew:

Pretty Red:
IMG_8906-1.jpg

Ugly Red:
IMG_9044.jpg

Pretty Yellow:
IMG_8989-1.jpg

Ugly Yellow:
IMG_8994-1.jpg

This was a pretty good season for Trinidad Scorpions, the red were some of the slowest to finally set fruit, but I ended up with some nice harvests of the red and excellent harvests from the yellow. One thing I observed was that ButchT and non-ButchT scorpions are very similar. I may stop differentiating them in my collection.

I know I missed the dead line but here are my scorps anyway. They are only small (about 1 inch) but they are still quite young (about 1 1/2 weeks old) so they have plenty of growing to do yet.
I've been dealing with quite a lot of flower AND pod drop so I'm glasd these have hung in there and looks like I could get a few in the coming months.

A nice flower with a new pod next to it.
FlowerandPod.jpg

My only pod with a stinger
pod1.jpg

These next two pics are of the same pod from different angles
pod2.jpg

pod2a.jpg

And the third pod that hung in there.
Just next to this pod is what most of the buds are doing, seeting fruit then dying off?? Any tips to stop this??
pod3.jpg

Lets hope that all the buds that have lost flower petals actually stick it out (there are around 15-20), and produce, I can see the pods forming so fingers crossed.

AJ, here is a T Scorp plant from your seed I got from OrigamiRN as a baby and just this week set it's first pod. It was started I think in late April. It's been flowering and dropping for about a month now and finally set it's first pod.

23vgtvs.jpg

T Scorp on the left and Brain Strain on the right when I first got them.

25im4np.jpg

Here it is today, got lots of flowers starting, hope they don't all drop, but it's finally cooling off here so maybe that will help.

vo8m1d.jpg

And finally the only pod to mature with a stinger, it put out a couple of small pods that never matured or had stingers

y120m.jpg

20p6b7m.jpg

Looking forward to a more productive 2nd year and a new garden setup and starting some good seeds

Back