• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Trinidad Scorpions varieties Moruga vrs. Butch T Better taste longer Stinger

I have been growing hot peppers since I was a Teen, but all the new varieties have me stumped just how do you tell which is which when it comes to trinidad scorpions ?

Great question! I wish I had an answer :doh:. there are so many 'names' floating around on Trinidads, who knows what is what.
The 7 Pots alone are a maze of so called varieties. Since we all trade seeds and only a few have truly 'isolated',
crosses are everywhere. I do not object, I think some of my favorites of my first year of seriously growing
are crosses. I am eager to see if any grow out next year. IMHO (http://thehotpepper....er/115-potawie/ ) is the guru on this subject.

We'll have to see if he drops in, I'd bet there are far more than I imagine, along with color varients that crop up. I notisted that one possible varient is the Primo and now the resent Carolina Reaper, both of which I would like to get seeds of.
I really like the long stingers they have.
George W.

Yep Potawie is one of the old timers as far as growing these super hots. There are some differences in pods now, that wasn't
always there when it first started, the Trinidad Scorpion (bt) & the 7 Pot Jonah was very similar in final pod growout, the scorpion
had the stinger on some pods, had "stickers" on the exterior of the pod, and was hotter than hell. It also had a slightly different
ripening sequence than the 7 pot, the 7 was larger, sweeter, and almost as hot, if the walls on the 7 were thinner, it would be really close
to the same heat. It also was more bumpy & lacked the "stickers" and stingers, tho a occasional stinger would appear. The Moruga looked a bit
like a cross between the two for a while, then it looked more like the brainstrain (a 7 X ) now the latest pics have it looking more like
the original scorpion! There are some of still maintaining the originals, Potawie is one,(actually had some descendants from the original 7 pot Jonah
that I sent him years ago, and sent me some to replace the ones I lost! Thanks Potawie!) Primo's 7 is really cool with the long stinger, I only know
part of his story, so maybe he can fill in the rest cmpman 1974 also has a lot to add to this conversation if he sees it!

I know I've read that most 7 pots and scorpions can be traced back to hobbiest growers in Trinidad but I wish we knew more like what parent plants were selected for breeding or possibly even what traits they were selecting for other than the obvious heat and sweetness.

Back