• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippaul Threat (PdN x BMJ) Community Grow

This is a dedicated grow log for Tristen's awesome cross, which I
have been growing out since 2014.  I'll start with a bit of history and
some photos documenting what's happened so far.

In January of 2014, Tristen (Trippa) sent me a little care package of seeds.
In the package were two generations of a cross he had made, which he just 
called 'Mystery Cross, F1' and 'Mystery Cross, F2'.  

Here's Trippa's Mystery Cross seedlings in February of 2014:
_DSC1203a_zpscfa08c86.jpg

_DSC1215a_zps824b6b30.jpg

Both generations showing the purple foliage characteristic since the beginning.

Up close look at Trippa's Mystery Crosses, F1 and F2.  Both culled to a single
plant after the photo taken, so I only had one plant of each generation:
_DSC1256a_zps34e3c6e6.jpg

Great looking plants guys, im a little behind on these.

Had a rather vigorous plant damp off yesterday but with that im at 11 total of the f7 white, still rather small but there is plenty of time here left in florida :D

PaulG said:
I wrote a long response to this yesterday, and then
when I tried to post it, the browser jumped to the THP
home page again   :banghead:

In short, I hope that this large grow out of Tristen's
cross this season will shed some light on this. You
obviously know a lot more about this than I, CD!

The whole pepper genetics thing is a bit of a rabbit hole, but I guess it all comes down to selecting and concentrating what we want to continue. 

The main cross itself is impressive. The plants appear vigorous and both pods and foliage are attractive and out of the ordinary. Plus with the numbers being grown out a good level of genetic diversity should be maintained.  Good stuff all around.

I've been intrigued by some of the tangents to the main grow, like the white pods and the BJ cross. I also remember pics of a less elongated pod shape.  Were there any other off-shoots that showed up and piqued your interest or were those the main ones?

BDASPNY said:

thanks, I was hoping for 6 plants to grow but these are the only ones to make it this far.

any idea how hot this will be? a ballpark range.
They are productive, so three plants should
give you lots of pods. As for heat, be
prepared. Pretty dang hot. 

BDASPNY said:
still growing, im hardening them off with the rest of my peppers. im hoping they take off with some real sunlight. 

aqwjBJt.jpg
BDASPNY, on 25 Apr 2019 - 12:26 PM, said:

thanks, I was hoping for 6 plants to grow but these are the only ones to make it this far.

PaulG said:
Agreed. On the purple version I had last season, I had to stake up one of the branches due to fruit load. And pretty darn spicy.

PaulG said:

Bhuter said:
BDASPNY, on 25 Apr 2019 - 12:26 PM, said:

Agreed. On the purple version I had last season, I had to stake up one of the branches due to fruit load. And pretty darn spicy.

looks like I better be prepared. lol  if they produce enough maybe ill try to make a hot sauce and powders.

CaneDog said:
The main cross itself is impressive. The plants appear vigorous and both pods and foliage are attractive and out of the ordinary. Plus with the numbers being grown out a good level of genetic diversity should be maintained.  Good stuff all around.

Yeah, CD, Tristen created a pretty interesting cross,
all right. I have high hope for this seasons results.

I've been intrigued by some of the tangents to the main grow, like the white pods and the BJ cross. I also remember pics of a less elongated pod shape.  Were there any other off-shoots that showed up and piqued your interest or were those the main ones?
There are a few surprises left in store, I imagine! I am
looking forward to seeing what happens this season.

Welp, I don't know what happened, Paul. I started a late seed of each...white and purple...from your seeds. After a few days, the white seed started turning black. I added a new White seed and let them go. Now, all three are black. I have 4 other varieties in the paper towel with them and they're fine, so it's not the germination process. I'm sure it's a little too late now to start a chinense. Sorry, bud!

AQO1l8Q.jpg

I really didn't like that post, Adam, sorry about that. First
time I've heard of that problem with the seeds. Usually they
are just boogers to germinate (the white variety). I will be
focusing on getting better seed this season from my F7s.
Also going to try to isolate pods on all my plants this season.

Good luck with getting your grow season outdoors, my friend!

Bhuter said:
Welp, I don't know what happened, Paul. I started a late seed of each...white and purple...from your seeds. After a few days, the white seed started turning black. I added a new White seed and let them go. Now, all three are black. I have 4 other varieties in the paper towel with them and they're fine, so it's not the germination process. I'm sure it's a little too late now to start a chinense. Sorry, bud!

AQO1l8Q.jpg

PaulG said:
I really didn't like that post, Adam, sorry about that. First
time I've heard of that problem with the seeds. Usually they
are just boogers to germinate (the white variety). I will be
focusing on getting better seed this season from my F7s.
Also going to try to isolate pods on all my plants this season.

Good luck with getting your grow season outdoors, my friend!

I got that covered. LOADS of netted seed this fall, coming your way. 

PaulG said:
Yes, they do. Most who try them say they are pretty hot.
Oh, yeah, surprisingly so, I thought. (The white, anyway.) For me the burn was mostly on the lips and lasted for a long time.

I moved my OW outside yesterday. It's still alive, but barely so. I'm not sure if it will make it or not. Don't know why, but I left too many pods on it when I brought it in for the winter. On the plus side, I have a lot more seeds than I thought I did, though they weren't specifically isolated.

Sawyer said:
Oh, yeah, surprisingly so, I thought. (The white, anyway.) For me the burn was mostly on the lips and lasted for a long time.

I moved my OW outside yesterday. It's still alive, but barely so. I'm not sure if it will make it or not. Don't know why, but I left too many pods on it when I brought it in for the winter. On the plus side, I have a lot more seeds than I thought I did, though they weren't specifically isolated.
I hope your OW makes it through, John. But am
glad to hear you have an abundance of seeds.

Back