• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippaul Threat (PdN x BMJ) Community Grow

This is a dedicated grow log for Tristen's awesome cross, which I
have been growing out since 2014.  I'll start with a bit of history and
some photos documenting what's happened so far.

In January of 2014, Tristen (Trippa) sent me a little care package of seeds.
In the package were two generations of a cross he had made, which he just 
called 'Mystery Cross, F1' and 'Mystery Cross, F2'.  

Here's Trippa's Mystery Cross seedlings in February of 2014:
_DSC1203a_zpscfa08c86.jpg

_DSC1215a_zps824b6b30.jpg

Both generations showing the purple foliage characteristic since the beginning.

Up close look at Trippa's Mystery Crosses, F1 and F2.  Both culled to a single
plant after the photo taken, so I only had one plant of each generation:
_DSC1256a_zps34e3c6e6.jpg

These are Tristen's Mystery Cross, F3, 2015.  No doubt about purple parentage here!  
You can see a tiny late hooker in the cup on the left.  With that one, 84% showed
the purple trait.  Kinda sorry now I didn't follow up on the green F3 seedling:
_DSC2557.jpg

_DSC2574.JPG

The red Bhut Jolokia that somehow picked up a purple gene.  4/6 showed the trait.  
The only other plant in the grow with the purple expression, and not far away, was
Tristen's cross.  Later:  After watching the BJ Hybrid and the Mystery Cross develop
alongside each other, that the Cross is the other parent in the BJ cross.  See 2016
Grow Log:
_DSC2559.jpg

Awesome work Paul ... I forgot how yellow the F2 pods were ... I certainly remember the f1 pods being bright red and much more Bonda ma jacques in shape... I actually thought at that stage there was no hope of a yellow pod showing up but proceeded anyway with growing the f2 and sending you some seeds of both f1 and f2 ... It was around this time I relocated countries and my chilli growing became much more sporadic/tough going ... This season will see me grow both f5s and f6s all going well to maturity.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

PaulG said:
I think that is for Tristen to answer - I believe the original
thought was yellow pods, like the F2 generation, but after
that, they went to more of an ivory/white.

It will be interesting to see if any yellow pods show up again.
Also whether the pods continue to grow larger. The F6 pods
were the largest overall in the whole series.

It will also be interesting to see how they grow in different
zones/climates.

I was sorting seeds the other day, and discovered one F1
seed from 5 years ago in the box   :rofl: !
b3rnd said:
Very excited about this Paul and Trippa! So cool to be a part of such a big community grow. I'll ask my parents if I can use a bit of space in their garden for a few of these beauties, they'll be isolated there. I'll have a few at my house too. 

Are you going to make a check-list for specific traits you want us to look out for? 
Paul has nailed it pretty well on the head ... My initial project was to create a plant with deep purple foliage and flowers with bright yellow pods.
However on seeing Paul's work with the white/ivory pods and purple foliage I am content with continuing along that path and if a yellow podded purple foliage variant turns up we can pursue that alongside it.
I want to try to keep as much purple in the plant itself as possible while keeping the pods as white (and yellow if it shows up anywhere) as possible.
Production, vigour, health of the plant could also be considered but because of the varied growing climates these plants will be grown in is not of primary importance at this point.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

I received seeds for this fantastic variety...2 different versions, purple and white...today from Paul!!! Thank you very much for sending these to me! I look forward to seeing what next season brings for these.
2B6aSHk.jpg

Thanks again and I hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving!

Thanks, Sim and Andy.  Looks like the USPS stepped
up and delivered!  Only two more to go!  Can't wait to
see how this all plays out.  Pray for good germ rates!

b3rnd said:
I got mine today as well, Paul! Pretty fast!
I'll say, Bernd.  I'm impressed with how fast they got 
to you and to Sim.  Hope the same goes for Tristen!
Glad they made it safely   :metal: !
snagglepuss said:
i’d love a couple if you’ve still got some spares.

I do, indeed, Gary    :party:

Just PM me your addy, and I'll get them out quick.
Hope you will consider sharing your experience with
them on this thread.

Back