• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Trouble with heat

My plants have been outside for about three weeks. They are on a table under the gazebo most of the time. I take them out in the morning for an hour or so then again in the evening. They look terrible after an hour in full sun, so much so that I rush to bring them back in the shade. The leaves are completely limp. Am I being over protective? They really look like they are about to expire. Once back in the shade, they perk up. I'll post pics this afternoon. 

And they were hardened off over a period of four weeks, very gradually.

Thanks

My full grown plants do the same thing. They usually just need water. It doesn't take a full root system long to suck the water out of the soil. I have to water almost every day. How big are your plants, and what size pots are they in?

Ah yes, my first post. I've had the same thing happen to my Bulgarian carrot plant. Being that its only about 9 inches tall, I don't think the roots have fully established enough to support the full heat of the sun. Especially with how hot it has been these last few weeks.

Natural occurring when they are in the heat.  Thats their way of shutting down and conserving water.  Nothing wrong with them.  Eventually they will get use to it.  Just make sure there is moisture in the soil and they will be just fine. 

So I should leave them be in the sun and they'll figure it out then. Thanks. I'll make sure they have a good drink.

Buzz, they are about a foot tall and the pots are a little small for that. I'll be potting up today to about a two gallon pot. With 62 plants, I can't really go beyond that.

I have been battling intense heat as well (as well as hail, and tornadoes, and flash floods, etc). Its been a crazy year for us weather-wise.

Not sure on your setup or the amount of room you have, but I recently put up a makeshift shade cloth from screen mesh I found on sale for $21. Nursery wanted $87 for same amount. Just an idea if you have the room, plants love it. It not only acts as a shade, but also diverts the rain into a mist when it pours and helps protect from hail.

dlsolo said:
Ah yes, my first post. I've had the same thing happen to my Bulgarian carrot plant. Being that its only about 9 inches tall, I don't think the roots have fully established enough to support the full heat of the sun. Especially with how hot it has been these last few weeks.

Every time I read a post commenting on his/her local weather and then see the the poster lists no location I just have to wonder.  Are ya on a "witness protection program" or sumpin and don't want to reveal your location?    

EDIT:  OH I see you are in the United States....that narrows it down.... ;)  ;)

And Welcome to the forum !!

outlaw - I have my plants on a table in the gazebo. I take the whole table into the sun and back under the gazebo when they look tired. I have the room but I also have over 60 plants so moving them around is a pain. I've potted most of them up today and they seem to be doing alright in partial sun. Of course they no longer fit on the table!!!

Correction to my earlier post - they are 2 feet tall and not a foot. lol

Streamer said:

Every time I read a post commenting on his/her local weather and then see the the poster lists no location I just have to wonder.  Are ya on a "witness protection program" or sumpin and don't want to reveal your location?    

EDIT:  OH I see you are in the United States....that narrows it down.... ;)  ;)

And Welcome to the forum !!
My apologies.  I live in North Carolina, Sanford to be specific.

The heat in the area has steadily increased and the humidity stays on/around 80%.  Tomorrow I plan to build a makeshift shade structure for my plants.

It is not hot enough in Montreal at this point in the season for previously hardened plants as far along as 1' to 2' tall to be drooping from the temperature.  It was either pots too small (which they definitely were) or not watering enough. 

From this point onward I would leave them out in the sun all day long, but 2 gallon pots are still REALLY small.  Personally, I would grow fewer plants and use larger pots if it is a space issue.  You will find you don't have to water nearly as often that way and the plants you end up with have forked a few more times which is better than all the initial energy that was put into each plant's center stem... maybe it's a suggestion for next year.

Dave2000 said:
It is not hot enough in Montreal at this point in the season for previously hardened plants as far along as 1' to 2' tall to be drooping from the temperature.  It was either pots too small (which they definitely were) or not watering enough. 

From this point onward I would leave them out in the sun all day long, but 2 gallon pots are still REALLY small.  Personally, I would grow fewer plants and use larger pots if it is a space issue.  You will find you don't have to water nearly as often that way and the plants you end up with have forked a few more times which is better than all the initial energy that was put into each plant's center stem... maybe it's a suggestion for next year.
Come on west to Ontario! (The southern part) it's plenty hot enough here!

Dave has a point with the pots. They ARE too small. Next year I'll focus on less plants, bigger pots etc. That just makes sense.

As for the heat... ya, it's been hot enough to have 'em droop. And the water...reading is consistently moist.

What do you consider "hot enough" to droop?   According to a weather 'site the daytime highs over the last two weeks in Montreal averaged about 75F and peaked at only 81F.  If that is true, that is not hot enough to make an established pepper plant (over a few inches tall) droop that much.  Currently it is 84F and sunny here with no droop, was 90F yesterday and only my Rapini (not a pepper) drooped.

Dave2000 said:
   According to a weather 'site

Well according to the real world, last week saw 78.8F, 80.6F and 84.2F mid week.  The plants drooped.

Why are we debating this?

Back