• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce True Scoville Scale: Red Savina Sauces

Greetings Fans,

I am wondering if CA Johns The Legend, Ace, Krakatoa, Talon, Ignite and Mild to Wild Pepper's Pure Arson and Red Savina Garlic have Scoville Scale Ratings of 577,000 since they are just Red Savina. Ok maybe somewhat less for Talon since it does have Fatalii's in it.

Have these sauces ever been tested. If this is true then aren't these sauces as just as hot as Megadeath?

Cheers,

You have to remember that not all peppers of the same species will have the same rating. That said, any dilution is going to lower the SHU rating because it is a concentration rating (10+10=10), not an absolute rating (10+10=20). No hot sauce is as hot as the peppers it was made from, unless the pepper mash is reduced.

Most sauces aren't tested because it's generally a cost prohibative measure. It costs hundreds of dollars to have it done; and I think I'm speaking for most people on the board here, but I could honestly care less what the SHU is on most of my sauces. It's nice to have a few "benchmarks", but the human tongue cannot gauge accurately capsacin concentration.

I'm with you on this thought, Dream. I don't quite understand the fascination with what the exact SHU rating is. Heat levels from different peppers affect different individuals in different ways. Not to mention just because a type if pepper is used, it doesn't mean every pepper used is the highest in the Scoville rating. Not every Red Savina is 577,000, there are infinite variables (soil nutrient content, altitude, sunlight exposure, humidity, etc). If something is hot, it's hot, that's about it, if it's not, it's not. With the going rate of approx. $500 per chromatograph to test for SHU, it IS cost prohibitive. I have personally found that some fresh habaneros are hotter to me than our ZERO, which is an extract, and has a higher SHU. I have also seen just the opposite effect on other people at various events we've done. I personally think SHU is much more of an inexact science than an exact one, and shouldn't be the sole reason for purchase.

SHU

DEFCON Creator said:
I'm with you on this thought, Dream. I don't quite understand the fascination with what the exact SHU rating is. Heat levels from different peppers affect different individuals in different ways. Not to mention just because a type if pepper is used, it doesn't mean every pepper used is the highest in the Scoville rating. Not every Red Savina is 577,000, there are infinite variables (soil nutrient content, altitude, sunlight exposure, humidity, etc). If something is hot, it's hot, that's about it, if it's not, it's not. With the going rate of approx. $500 per chromatograph to test for SHU, it IS cost prohibitive. I have personally found that some fresh habaneros are hotter to me than our ZERO, which is an extract, and has a higher SHU. I have also seen just the opposite effect on other people at various events we've done. I personally think SHU is much more of an inexact science than an exact one, and shouldn't be the sole reason for purchase.

I agree. Could we conclude though that most Red Savina Mash sauces are above 300k SU?

HotSauceGoonie said:
I agree. Could we conclude though that most Red Savina Mash sauces are above 300k SU?

I would agree with that.

I use the scale as a guide, like how much its going to hurt when I eat it. I'm not smart enough to let it scare me :hell:

Agree

huvason said:
I would agree with that.

I use the scale as a guide, like how much its going to hurt when I eat it. I'm not smart enough to let it scare me :hell:

I agree with that statement. To me Jersey Death doesn't seem as hot as Megadeath or 357 Mad Dog. I don't know.. Maybe I have to have more or maybe by senses have gone astray on me...

Back