• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Trying to build tolerance- but stomach pain more challenge than mouth pain

I can eat pieces of naga jolokia raw or a meal made from this chilli and be able to tolerate the heat pain without needing milk. But afterwards I get stomach ache which is just unpleasant and takes the fun away.

I want to eat a stupidly hot chilli from a specific establishment but I'm actually more concerned about the stomach pain afterwards than the mouth pain from eating it at the time.

Stomach cramps are horrible, but it goes with the territory. In some people, eating hot foods and getting cramps is an indication of an underlying medical problem. Gaul bladder and Kidney issues, to name just 2. Ask your doctor. 

That being said, most people who review the hottest of the hot do some preparation before eating mega-hot things. 

This is what I do. I do not promise it will stop your issues, nor do I want you to ignore any possible medical complaints, but it stops stomach cramps for me. I still feel like my stomach is a little sore, but no cramps.

1 scoop protein powder (I use whey protein powder, 28g protein). If you are lactose intolerant, any protein powder will do.
3 really heaped tablespoons of peanut butter. Yeah, I don`t like peanut butter either, so Greek Tahini paste will work (sesame seeds)
3 tablespoons of olive oil (or any cooking oil),
1 banana,
juice of 1 lime or lemon.
12 oz water

toss it in a blender with 3 or 4 ice cubes and blend until the ice cubes are smashed to bits.

Drink about 30-45 minutes before eating hot peppers. 

z34442 said:

I want to eat a stupidly hot chilli from a specific establishment but I'm actually more concerned about the stomach pain afterwards than the mouth pain from eating it at the time.
Lol.. What kind are you going to try?

My opinion is there are three places peppers can effect you

1.mouth
2. Stomach
3. Rear end

All 3 are relevant to each other, and relevant to your personal heat level

Getting it past your mouth is easier because you hide it in food, coming out well its masked somewhat too, but inside your stomach its somewhat impossible to mask, and will quickly let you know if you have surpassed your level, unless as mentioned above underlying medical issues

This is what I do. I do not promise it will stop your issues, nor do I want you to ignore any possible medical complaints, but it stops stomach cramps for me. I still feel like my stomach is a little sore, but no cramps.

I might give it a try :)

What kind are you going to try?

http://www.kismot.co.uk/kismotkiller.html

^that one.

1.mouth
2. Stomach
3. Rear end

The mouth heat and rear end heat can be pleasant sensations but there's nothing fun about stomach cramp it's just downright unpleasant.

But I only get stomach cramp if I venture into superhot territory, I don't get it with the likes of Scotch Bonnets or Bird's eyes.

ajijoe said:
same prob  nothing as far as i can see   acid reflux

thanks tour friend Joe
Joe, I have acid reflux. Have had since i was 15. Actually I was tested by sticking in a nasogastric tube and they stimulated acid production in my stomach with a hormone called pentagastrin. It turned out that I produce 10x more acid that is considered within a normal range. That`s a ton of acid.

Ok, here`s the odd thing. If I`m eating really hot peppers, superhots being the most effective, I no longer get an stomach acid issues for around 12-18 hours. None. I have done the experiment many, many times and it works 100% of the time, as long as the pepper is hot enough. Normal chilis all the way up to orange Habs are not hot enough, but once you get to Trinidad Congos, then the effect is there. I believe it is worth investigating scientifically, but there`s not much chance of that, as there are numerous over-the-counter acid reducing meds. 

Nigel said:
Joe, I have acid reflux. Have had since i was 15. Actually I was tested by sticking in a nasogastric tube and they stimulated acid production in my stomach with a hormone called pentagastrin. It turned out that I produce 10x more acid that is considered within a normal range. That`s a ton of acid.

Ok, here`s the odd thing. If I`m eating really hot peppers, superhots being the most effective, I no longer get an stomach acid issues for around 12-18 hours. None. I have done the experiment many, many times and it works 100% of the time, as long as the pepper is hot enough. Normal chilis all the way up to orange Habs are not hot enough, but once you get to Trinidad Congos, then the effect is there. I believe it is worth investigating scientifically, but there`s not much chance of that, as there are numerous over-the-counter acid reducing meds. 
same age  AS YOU already DID THAT NOTHING PAIN

THANKS YOUR FRIEND Joe

thanks your friend Joe

I just had about 90% of my stomach removed the week before Christmas. It has had the craziest effect on me. I CRAVE hot stuff now! Being of Cajun descent, I always liked it spicy. But now, compared to before, my tolerance has quadrupled. At first, my stomach protested with severe pain. Over time, the more hot peppers I eat, the less pain I get. My stomach has, in fact, developed a tolerance to peppers. Now, I still can't even imagine eating a fresh superhot like some of the guys here.

And, I agree, the stomach pain is worse than the mouth pain. It's more like being violently sick!

Try them different ways.
Raw, cooked,powdered,flaked.
And different types.
I.E. does an annum have the same effect as a chinense?
Does a pure extract have the same effect as a pod?

Hot peppers evolved to be unpleasant to mammals---some mammals are more intolerant than others.

Back