• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense TSMB x Orange Habanero - from Phearis

Check this link first,

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/50492-the-orange-moruga-scorpion/?hl=phearis#entry1059066

The pod was a lovely orange colour in the above link, but when it arrived at my house it was already red. It`s hard to know why the big change, so late in the day.

This lovely pod was sent to me by Phearis on THP. Thanks Scott, I appreciate your generosity very much. This was the only pod on Scott`s plant and he sent it to me. How generous is that??? Amazing!

For a long time this pod was bright orange on the plant, but when it arrived it had turned red. 

The initial aromas were very much like Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend (TSMB) and I found it very difficult to pick out anything resembling the aromas of an Orange Habanero. Saying that, there was a sweetness to the aroma that I wouldn't normally associate with TSMB. This is perhaps the nicest aroma from a pepper I`ve had this year. 

The initial flavours were nice and sweet, with a distinct TSMB-type flavour and a touch of general fruitiness. TSMB has a strong flavour compared to the Orange Habanero, so it`s not too surprising that the TSMB flavours dominated. As time passed the flavours on the palate became more TSMB-dominant, with a slight tobacco and green grass finish. 

The heat was perhaps 2-3 times that of an Orange Habanero, so very manageable, unlike the TSMB, which is scorching hot! The heat felt more like TSMB, which is a somewhat aggressive pepper, whereas the Orange Hab is much smoother. The heat was mainly on the tongue and in the back of the throat, again very like the TSMB. 

Great aromas and excellent flavours from this cross!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3IBFQtR7I0&feature=youtu.be

Like always Nigel well done.  I would think the Orange will show up at a % of 1 in 4 and 50% of them should have a stinger from the TSM.  

Love how you say "it's not a scorcher like a moruga scorpion, just only 2x the heat of a hab" when regular hab heat makes 95% of the people I meet go insane :mouthonfire: 

Back