• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Tuna! Now available on the beach!

So last night word on the street (and on bloodydecks.com) was a fish pen outta Mexico (from out around the Coronado Islands) either detached and/or blew open and surged some tuna goods up here. Bluefin tuna. Some alive and disoriented, some that just checked out, and some that were pretty tore back/gnawed up by whatever. From Tijuana up to Coronado, just south of SD. No joke.

Of course I can't confirm or deny any involvement, or the tuna's whereabouts, but I guess it's either us or the gulls now.

IMG_4599.jpg

patrick said:
Tuna on the beach......got grill?

Oh yeah, grill and a smoker. Maybe a smoker, or some seared. Depends on the quality. Will find out in a bit.

Pepperfreak said:
Boy, that must have been an awesome find! Do you have any meal pics yet?

Not yet, maybe I'll get one. It'll probably be great, but I don't know about me doing up a pic worthy presentation.

paulky_2000 said:
I can see the headlines now....

WORLD'S BIGGEST SUSHI PARTY

Totally! Bluefin sashimi is my all time fave.

Even though I probably wouldn't know the perfect way of cutting that fish up, I must admit, I'm jealous of your find! Next to Salmon, Tuna is my next favorite fish.

Man, my comp ate a whole post! Tuna bluefin, yellowfin, then albacore are my top three, prob cause that's what you can catch here. I know I'd eat more salmon if I was up north. I can't begin to imagine all the salmon TB's been into. Only had it super fresh once from a pilot buddy who went up on a trip and flew some back. It was incredible! Ruined me on our market's stuff though.

Well, I better shut it and get cuttin.

boutros said:
Man, my comp ate a whole post! Tuna bluefin, yellowfin, then albacore are my top three, prob cause that's what you can catch here. I know I'd eat more salmon if I was up north. I can't begin to imagine all the salmon TB's been into. Only had it super fresh once from a pilot buddy who went up on a trip and flew some back. It was incredible! Ruined me on our market's stuff though.

Well, I better shut it and get cuttin.

I eats more salmon than any man seen.

I would probably guess I have caught well over 10,000 salmon of the 5 pacific salmon varieties in my lifetime. Almost all released.

Nice score on the tuna! I've never hooked one. Funny, I've talked to mrs. blues several times about heading to SD and booking a charter. Know anyone who fly fishes for tuna?

Man Boutros that is awesome. I can think of so many things to do with that fish! I just had some yellowfin and bluefin sushi and shashimi the other night. Yum.

texas blues said:
Know anyone who fly fishes for tuna?

No, I don't. I'm sure there's some real anglers here that do. I'll ask the few I know. Not a skill I have yet. We pretty much troll, baitfish on paddies, and stagger around :cheers:

DickT said:
Igot a good recipe for you.

?

thehotpepper.com said:
Old Bay? ;) lol

Nice! Works for the Crab Nutterz.

JayT said:
Man Boutros that is awesome. I can think of so many things to do with that fish! I just had some yellowfin and bluefin sushi and shashimi the other night. Yum.

I know, wish there was more. I gave away most of it to friends and family, my neighbors. Pays off though cause they get out more than I do and hook it up.

No good meal pics, just a quick real late night hack job thrown on a plate before I passed out. Basic fish tacos w/ Manzanos.

IMG_4614.jpg

Generously coat tuna steak ( about 1 inch thick) with extra virgin olive oil. Both sides for entire recipe

Kosher salt
basil
thyme
Minced garlic (optional)
2 teaspoon each ingrediant press into steak with back of spoon

Grill 600 degree 4 min per side spraying olive oil on occasionly.

sauce 2 part mayo to 1 part gray poupon, few dashes of tobasco
sliced red onion
toasted kaiser roll

Sauce, you want to add the grey poupon to the mayo until you lose the the taste of the mayo.

boutros said:
No, I don't. I'm sure there's some real anglers here that do. I'll ask the few I know. Not a skill I have yet. We pretty much troll, baitfish on paddies, and stagger around :cheers:

?

Nice! Works for the Crab Nutterz.

I know, wish there was more. I gave away most of it to friends and family, my neighbors. Pays off though cause they get out more than I do and hook it up.

No good meal pics, just a quick real late night hack job thrown on a plate before I passed out. Basic fish tacos w/ Manzanos.

IMG_4614.jpg

Sir there ain't a damn 'thang wrong with that plate of hot, blue and righteous fish tacos. GIGANTIC WIN!!

Back