• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Turbo's Slog (Hot Sauce Log with a silent H)

Instead of having a different for each sauce I want to share with folks, I decided to make a Slog...a Hot Sauce Log with a silent H.

Roasted peppers with strawberry and mango ferment (take 1)

Haven't made any hot sauce all year because I've been going through last year's surplus.  So for my first sauce of the year I figured I'd go with a ferment.  I've been jonesing something charred and fruity.

Ingredients:
roasted habaneros, rocotos, and red chilis
one red onion
3 inch hunk of ginger
head of garlic (7 cloves)
1 mango
1 pint of strawberries

I think/hope that the fruit will add enough sugar to sustain a good ferment. 

Once its finished fermenting, I'm guessing it'll be pretty two dimensional and need a little something else for richness / complexity.  I'm thinking a bit of red wine and/or apple cider vinegar and/or soy sauce would really level out the sauce.  We'll see when the time comes.

2jdkz91.jpg

Everything all ready to go in the food processor for a whirl tomorrow morning. 

300abfq.jpg

No it's not sauce, but it's my favorite ingredient of all time! Looks good. Now you can make some sauce with fresh pods and garlic grown from your garden. Just made some tropical sauce yesterday. Mango, lime, and orange base. Very tasty.

Thanks for sharing.

Plum BBQ Sauce

Yup, another "not hot sauce" sauce, but I did put a couple peppers in so it kind'a counts, right?

Our neighbor brought over about 10 lbs of plums from their tree and I had no idea what to do with them.  After a bit of research I decided on a plum based BBQ sauce.

Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup chopped shallot
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1 3/4 cup chopped plums
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 2 tables brown sugar
  • 2 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp chipotle powder
  • 1 tbsp yellow mustard
  • 2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 small shot espresso
  • 1.5 inches fresh ginger
  • couple fresh hot peppers to taste - I used Aji Cito
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Steps
  • Add 2 tbsp olive oil to big pot - I love Le Creuset pots
  • cook shallots and garlic until soft
  • put everything else in and bring to boil
  • cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes
  • uncover and simmer 15 minutes
  • hit with immersion blender
  • simmer another 5 - 10 minutes, until desired thickness (sauce, will thicken as it cools)
  • cool 10 minutes
  • fill jars and process according to your altitude

IMG_3224.jpg

This sauce is awesome!  Amazing on chicken

Full_Size_Render.jpg

John,

You sure have a way with making great looking BBQ sauces.  That one sure looked great, especially once it was on the chicken.   Dang, made me hungry looking at it.

Bill

We had about two weeks of cooler weather and rain, followed by this last week back up in the upper 80's and sunny.  My plants have really responded by putting a LOT of foliage growth on.  My shady raised bed probably doubled in foliage volume the past 3 weeks.  I'd rather see green peppers ripen than plant growth, but what can you do.  Speaking of which I have a S ton of green pods on my plants.  I can only hope we get some good sun the rest of this month and they'll get a chance to ripen.

The below two pictures are my sunny bed
IMG_3243.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

Here is my shady raised bed.  Its put a ton of foliage growth in the past couple weeks, and there are a lot of green pods, but this bed is really slow to ripen.
IMG_3260.jpg

Its really beautiful to look at.  But I want some pods in my belly!
IMG_3263.jpg

This year my MOA is just killing it!  Its putting out a LOT of pods, and they are picture perfect.  Thanks Bill!
IMG_3241.jpg

My Morouga Red Habanero is awesome this year.  Its just putting out a TON of big pods.  Look at these suckers!
IMG_3247.jpg

More Morouga Red Habanero.  I can't wait for all this to ripen
IMG_3252.jpg

My Cheiro Roxa is just loaded with the marble sized pods.  They are really beautiful, though I can't really figure out what I want to do with them.  It seems like 3 out of 5 have little heat and are pretty sweet, 1 out of 5 is kind'a hot and really bitter, and 1 out of 5 has a wonderful flavor and really hot. 
IMG_3258.jpg

My Aji Cito is kind'a vine like.  If I stand the individual branches up they are about 5 foot tall.  Really love the peppers.  Next year I'm definitely going to use tomato cages on all my plants
IMG_3261.jpg

My cayennes are looking pretty good.  Pods are a good 7" - 8" long.  Now all they need to do is ripen!
IMG_3268.jpg

Bunch of Trinidad Scotch Bonnets ready to start turning red
IMG_3275.jpg

Today's haul...4 MOAs, 4 Morouga Red Habs, a fatalii and a jalapeno
IMG_3287.jpg

Just wanted to stop through and say that I love this thread and all the time and detail you've put into it Turbo.  Great resource for this community.  :)

Question for you, Turbo:
In your recipe for
Caribbean Calypso Sauce
Ingredients
  • 1 big sweet white onion
  • 8 allspice berries
  • 8 pepper corns
  • 4 thyme sprigs
  • 4 inches of ginger
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 small papayas
  • 30'ish Fataliis, seeded
  • cane vinegar
  • 1/4 yellow mustard
  • 2 tbs tamarind paste
  • juice of 4 limes

You do not give a measure for the cane vinegar.
Please advise.
Thank you.
LOVE this SLOG

winland said:
Question for you, Turbo:
In your recipe for
Caribbean Calypso Sauce
Ingredients
  • 1 big sweet white onion
  • 8 allspice berries
  • 8 pepper corns
  • 4 thyme sprigs
  • 4 inches of ginger
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 small papayas
  • 30'ish Fataliis, seeded
  • cane vinegar
  • 1/4 yellow mustard
  • 2 tbs tamarind paste
  • juice of 4 limes

You do not give a measure for the cane vinegar.
Please advise.
Thank you.
LOVE this SLOG

Thanks for the compliment Winland!  I wanna say I started with 1 cup of vinegar, the after hitting it with the immersion blender I may have added a bit more to get the desired consistency.  That's kinda my SOP for sauces.  Start with enough vinegar to just barely cover the peppers in the pot.  Cook for a bit.  Immersion blend.  And then depending on how thick it is, and what I want, and how it tastes, add water, apple juice, and/or vinegar to get to where I want it to be.

South American Pineapple Sauce

I really liked my Aji Cito and Aji Peruvian peppers.  They are really sweet, kind'a cherry like in flavor, and a nice medium cayenne like heat.  I thought they might be really good in a sauce with grilled pineapple.

Ingredients
  • 50'ish Aji Cito, Aji Peruvian, and Brazilian Starfish peppers
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 sweet onion (Walla Walla)
  • 8 slices of canned pineapple
  • 1/3 cup golden raisins
  • juice of 2 limes
  • 1 inch ginger
  • 1 1/2 cup cane vinegar (plus more to thin)
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup apple juice (to thin sauce as needed)
  • 1 tsp sale, + salt to taste
Steps
  • Grill pineapple enough that you get nice char marks on each side.  The pineapple sweetness really concentrates when grilled
  • De-seed peppers and add to food processor
  • Add garlic and onion to food processor
  • Rough chop them in food processor
  • Add to food processor pineapple and rough chop
  • Put pepper mush into pot and add vinegar and salt
  • Bring to simmer and simmer on low for 20 minutes
  • Turn heat off and let cool (I did this overnight)
  • Taste sauce and make any salt or flavor adjustments needed
  • If sauce it too thick add more vinegar, apple juice, or water to thin
  • Bring sauce to simmer again, and simmer for another 10 minutes
  • Bottle sauce as desires
I really love this sauce.  The Aji peppers worked really nicely with the sweet pineapple.  Its not a sauce for any meal.  Its fairly sweet and has a distinctive pineapple note to it.  Funny thing, I have always hated Hawaiian pizza, but with this sauce on it, I love it!

Next time I make this, I think I'll use a different vinegar.  The grilled pineapple was so sweet that the cane vinegar just pushed the sweetness a bit over the top.  Maybe a mix of distilled white and white wine vinegar next time.

IMG_3189.jpg

Peppers and onions all chopped up
IMG_3191.jpg

Grilling pineapple really concentrated the flavor and sweetness of it

IMG_3195.jpg

Pulp ready to be cooked
IMG_3196.jpg

Ready to be bottled

IMG_3236.jpg

Finished sauce
IMG_3238.jpg

Introducing Donte!

I've been wanting to have a fun logo on my hot sauce bottles for a while now.  So I talked to an artist friend of mine recently to come up with a design and this is the finished product.  He's kind of Fatalii terminator, with the ripped up face.  What do you think?

I'm gonna call him Dante.

final_Pepper_vector.png

Back