• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking turkey help!!!

I have got elected to smoke a turkey this saturday to be ready to eat. Any help its about 15 pounds or so. When do i need to start it so it will be done by noon Saturday?
I want to heat it up but the inlaws are still nice folks so I I don't want to huurt them so any ideas on rubs or seasoning and would it be okay to put a beer in the cavity? Give me some ideas and instructions pleaseeeeeeeeeee. :lol: joe

Joe--

All I do when smoking a turkey is put a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder on the skin. Maybe a drizzle of olive oil first. I stuff the cavity with sliced apples.

Smoker should be about 250 - 275 and when the legs and wings look like they are falling off, it's done. Probably about 6-8 hours for a 12 pounder, so...maybe 9-ish hours for you. Just keep an eye on it after 8 hours. You need an internal temperature of 160.

Here's a link to check out, too.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Poultry/smokingtips.htm

Joe I do a little more to the bird.I make a marinate soak the bird over night But other then that, I agree with DD. Do put a pan of water or some thing liquid right a the opening ware the smoke comes in ,on a rack and keep it full.Helps to get bird cook more evenly and prevents burning the meat. About 9hrs give or take.Do you have a meat thermometer if not get one .Like DD said 160F internal temp . the I take it off wrap in foil good and let rest for 5-10minutes.Everyone has there own way of doing things but as long as it gets do and it is good who cares good luck.
Dan

LET IT BURN

Thanks all! Just got back from church and even one of the guys there said exactly the same as you all. I was going to use butter and he said olive oil too lol. I like marinate alot I got some allegro (I think thats the way you spell it) and its pretty good. I do my brisket with it and turns out good. I will definitely let you know how the bird turns out. If I could only figure out a way to put the smell in pictures it will be great. Thanks again joe

You can do a marinade injection too. I like Dr. BBQ, and he suggests half Sherry, half melted butter. I'll have to give it a try but my smoker is part of the snow bank right now.:(

I've smoked/cooked chickens & a 21 pound (live weight maybe 18 pounds cooking weight)wild turkey.
I dont know the temp I used, but that wild turkey was done in 4 hours - 5 hours
I inject marinade to turkeys/chickens when cooking/smoking on the grill, it just tastes so good & the juices & flavor is sealed in.
I'd tell the guests to show up hours early for just incase its done early.

Thanks all for the good ieas and I even smoked some chicken leg quarters and they turned out great smokey flavor of pecan salt pepper and lil barbee after finished. The family love them biggest thing I noticed was JUICYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY I dislike dry. And got leftover for todays lunch woooopeee and getting ready for the big bird tommorrow Thanks all

OJ good luck tomorrow. That is what I like about smoking JUICYYYYYYYYYYY. Have fun and A HAPPY EASTER.
Dan

LET IT BURN

Thanks Dan I will post to let ya know how it turned out and get a chance I get some pics good or bad Happy Easter and beware of soft eggs lol joe

You smokin' this morning bro'?

+1 on the injection. That is the key to keeping things juicy. I like to use crap beer as the base and add to it.(bud, miller, coors)

Garlic powder and salt will do fine, of course steeping sage and thyme leaves in the beer first will do wonders!

Thread moved. The Grill/Smoker forum is for talk about actual smokers, etc.

Back