• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Two Questions

1) I'm germinating some seeds in little plastic cups W/ lids and wet paper towel in the bottom. I have set them on a plant starter heating pad and have them under a full spectrum grow light. I have been leaving the light on 24hrs but none of the seeds are germinating. In my research on this site I read someone had germinated seeds in 4 days using this method. How long should I leave the grow light on for? Should I poke small holes in the lids to allow some air movement? Am I over exposing them or just not being patient enough?

2) I'm looking for some chocolate Habanero seeds. Are there good seeds and bad ones? If there is a difference, is there someone on this site that has good ones (I'm assuming there is, just don't know who or the difference between good seeds and bad ones)?

1) I'm germinating some seeds in little plastic cups W/ lids and wet paper towel in the bottom. I have set them on a plant starter heating pad and have them under a full spectrum grow light. I have been leaving the light on 24hrs but none of the seeds are germinating. In my research on this site I read someone had germinated seeds in 4 days using this method. How long should I leave the grow light on for? Should I poke small holes in the lids to allow some air movement? Am I over exposing them or just not being patient enough?

I don't turn the lights on till the first hooks pop, then I give them 24/7 light for 4-6 weeks then I switch to 18/6. Also 4 day is a best case scenario. If your temps are not perfect or your seeds are not perfectly fresh or are being finicky or you are not singing to them during the day and playing Mozart for them in the nights... the 4 days will be more likely be 5-10 days. I had 92% germination out of 200 seeds and I think the first ones took 6 days and the majority around 10 days. If you get nothing after 10 days I might start to worry but realistically much longer is sometimes required for some species. Good luck!

+1 beagle

1.all you need to germ is proper temp and proper moisture when the hooks on the majority of them are up give em the light.

2. Seed forum

Happy growing :cheers:

Check the temp with the heating pad. At least with my hydrofarm seedling mat, temps are not very stable and I have had them spike quite high. I have a thermostst hooked up to mine and have it placed in a styrofoam enclosure so it keeps a more consistent temperature. Light is not necessary at this point, only heat. Once they hook pour the light on. Great seed source is pepperlover.com. not sure if she has the choc habs or not. I may have some, pm me with ur info and ill check.

also depending on what pepper your trying to germinate might take longer. it took me 3 weeks+ to get a bhut jolokia to germinate and only 2 out of 10 germinated. so which peppers seeds are you germinating. how moist is it in those cups as well. take some pics and show us :)

and as already stated no light needed save it for when they pop up. :dance:

Thanks ya'll. I will take some pics and post em tonight. The temp of the containers seems to stay pretty constant at 80 deg.
The seeds are yellow Bhuts

So here they are......

The couple of different types of germinating I'm trying out. DIRT, ROCK WOOL, & CUPS.

I'm hoping to hydro all of these seeds. This is my first time trying hydro growing.
44f48d08.jpg

To my surprise when I got home, here is one that has actually started to sprout into the rock wool.
226523c2.jpg

and here is one of the cups.
9b729a30.jpg

Oddly enough it's seems the seed that has probably been the coolest since it has been exposed to the air is the winner. I think I started them all last Thursday.

Back