• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

UAV

i dont think you even need to shoot at most of those things.

you can jam GPS for like 100 yards with some easy to build shit and crap from ebay.
jamming gps however, is like hyper illegal. 

anyway. im posting because id like to know, from you quad copter folks, whats going on with fixed wing stuff?

ive seen micro pitot tubes, tiny GPS boards and ultra tiny gimbled  antenna for transmitting images and videos... but not alot of fixed wing UAV's being built or operated outside of like university studies?

yea small airplanes are shitty with respect to weather, but still. i can just imagine how a small fixed wing UAV could be used to do alll sorts of cool shit that requires far longer durations of flight.

I lost interest in R/C planes and helicopters 6 years ago. Is this the next generation of R/C flying?

Grant, that is a pretty big LiPo pack on that UAV. How many volts are you running?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417984673.900033.jpg

The Stingray500 I'm still building is what really interests me ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417984760.254430.jpg

You'll note the battery is much smaller ...

The TBS Disco gets 12min flight on the 4500, where the Stingray gets like 4-7min only.

The convergence of variable pitch AND quad design is pretty cool.

I'm building an anti-drone drone, actually ...

Planning to put a Beaglebone Black running Kali on it, and maybe an RTL-SDR ...

The whole RC space is kind of a parts nightmare and the costs of operation are similar to say, oh I don't know - boat ownership, I guess!

I need to get back to that soon, once things slow down at work (usually mid January or so) ...

PS - that 4500 has 4.2V/cell fully topped off, and you take it down to 3.7V ... stores at 3.85V ...

So, we're getting closer to some actual rules to follow ...

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=18295

http://www.fpvracing.tv/videos.html

I'm not flying much right now, kind of waiting to see where things end up ...

Right now, when you go out to fly, you get a crowd of people - half of whom are interested, and half of whom are distrustful ...

It's awkward right now, but I think we'll see some consensus here in the next 6 months ...

If China has drone deliveries before Amazon, it'll be an immense regulations failure in the States ...

Just curious...  If one was to shoot down a private drone over his own property where by law he has the expectation of privacy using a  nicely aimed 500 watt laser, who is the bad guy and since no real FAA aircraft was damaged would the fed's go all menopausal on you?

Back