smoking UDS build and eventually some cooking

You'll be surprised how many Cajun products you can find around the country. Back in the early 90's I could buy roux in Va & NC.

Here's a list I made from the best boudin in the country, I'm surprised there's that many places that make it. This list came from http://boudinlink.com/boudin-by-location/ They rank boudin.

[SIZE=14pt]AZ Phoenix[/SIZE]
 Baby Kay’s Cajun Kitchen B+   
[SIZE=14pt]AZ Phoenix[/SIZE]
 Schreiner’s Sausages A-     
[SIZE=14pt]CA Alto Palo[/SIZE]
NOLA Alto Palo C
[SIZE=14pt]CA Angeles Los[/SIZE]
 Jody Maroni’s Sausage Kingdom B-   
[SIZE=14pt]CA Berkley[/SIZE]
 Taylor’s Sausage @ Angeline’s Louisiana Kitchen A  
[SIZE=14pt]CA Francisco San[/SIZE]
  Boxing Room (Boudin Ball) C+   
[SIZE=14pt]CA San Fransisco[/SIZE]
 Range Bros from Prather Ranch Meat Co A
[SIZE=14pt]DC Washington[/SIZE]
C  Acadiana (restaurant) C/A    
[SIZE=14pt]DC Washington[/SIZE]
C  Acadiana – Shrimp “Boudin ” (super tasty)
[SIZE=14pt]FL Pensacola[/SIZE]
 Cajun Specialty Meats A-    
[SIZE=14pt]ID Boise[/SIZE]
 Chef Roland’s Cajun Cuisine B   
[SIZE=14pt]OR Portland[/SIZE]
 Acadia : New Orleans Bistro B+  
[SIZE=14pt]PA PHILADELPHIA[/SIZE]
 D’Angelo Brothers C     
[SIZE=14pt]TX Arthur Port[/SIZE]
 Nick’s Grocery B-     
 Judice’s Franch Market B+    
 Boudain Hut B-     
[SIZE=14pt]TX Beaumont[/SIZE]
 Beaumont Boudin Company  C    
[SIZE=14pt]TX Beaumont[/SIZE]
 DJ’s Jalapeno Boudain  B+    
[SIZE=14pt]TX Galveston[/SIZE]
 Leo’s Cajun Corner C    
[SIZE=14pt]TX HEB[/SIZE]
(store brand) - TEXAS C     
[SIZE=14pt]TX Houston[/SIZE]
Holmes Smokehouse  C
 Boogie’s BBQ A-     
 Burt’s Meat Market B    
 Burt’s Meat Market – BEEF BOUDAIN B 
[SIZE=14pt]WA Seattle[/SIZE]
 Uli’s Famous Sausage ??    
[SIZE=14pt]WI Washington Port[/SIZE]
 Bernie’s Fine Meats C-    

I fired up big ugly again for a "brisket thing" I bought, the butcher butchered this thing to crap. I bought it a while back from the marked down box figuring I couldn't go wrong for the price. I think they must trim a whole brisket then cut it in half seasoned.
100_2841.JPG

100_2840.JPG

This is a small roasting pan, it shrunk that much, I noticed the butcher cut 90% of the fat off the point and left it like a flap of meat. You can see the right side where I tasted a piece. I overcooked this thing, it's perfect for pulled beef.
100_2845.JPG

Cooked at 250F without smoke then in the pan with a cup of beef broth till it reached 205F.
100_2847.JPG

Smoke ring without smoke!!! Put it on the cooker cold from the fridge and BAM=it's there.
100_2846.JPG

Since the drum is fired up I added some pecan and I'm smoking some Ghost peppers to make salt!!!!!!

Attachments

• 100_2844.JPG
    100_2844.JPG
    265.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 100_2842.JPG
    100_2842.JPG
    241.5 KB · Views: 104
I finished the Smoked Ghost salt last night and it came out with a milder smoke flavor than I thought it would. I kept the peppers on the smoke for about 4 hours till they were actually dried out and started to roast a little.
100_2848.JPG

It has a good flavor but I won't know exactly till I cook with it vs just tasting it.
100_2873.JPG

Damn dude did you nuke it? :lol:

Nice smoke ring and bone pulled clean so it looks legit, let us know how you did that!!!! 

Now that I have time to respond. I ran the drum at 290 through the cook. At 165 I put it in the pan and covered it with foil. I didn't add anything, that's just pork juice. When I thought it was getting close to 190 I used the temp probe but it was at 200 already so off it came.

Then company showed up with food so I didn't eat it besides tasting pieces here and there.

So the plan was to do them for lunch then my sister showed up with 3 tickets to a benefit BBQ so once again I didn't eat any. The bbq wasn't bad but the sides were crap.

20181021_115426.jpg

20181021_121316.jpg

And finally for supper I made German potato salad and sandwiches. They were good and that sauce worked great on both! This was a sloppy sandwich, next time I'm using poboy buns.
100_3119.JPG

100_3120.JPG

I woke up with a forecast of rain all day and didn't have a clue what to cook. The normal BBQ shows were on Discovery channel so I went to the store. I ended up getting a rack of baby backs, turkey wings, chicken parts and a whole beef shank.

The shanks were on sale and I asked the meat dept if they had whole shanks, I didn't know they had those hiding. I really didn't think they received them whole and cut them on site since i's a big store. Bonus information for later use!!!!

The shank will be for tomorrow when I doctor it up some more, the Q with rice dressing and potato salad was awesome for tonight.
100_3559.JPG

100_3561.JPG

100_3568.JPG

I cleaned off the junk from the shank and smoked it for 2 hours before I transferred it to a Magnalite roaster to finish in the oven layed on a bed of onions and bells.
It was bigger than I thought it would be. This is a pic of the tag after it got wet and I used the tray as a dumpster. I forgot to get a pic of it wrapped, it's huge.
100_3553.JPG

cleaned up most of the fat and silver skin.
100_3555.JPG

Dressed for the party
100_3556.JPG

Smoked and ready for a nap with Better than Bouillon beef base.
100_3557.JPG

100_3558.JPG

3 more hours at 275 in the oven and it's looking good.
100_3569.JPG

I had to taste it, loving that smoke color
100_3570.JPG

I didn't know the bone is on one side as you can see.
100_3572.JPG

More to come mañana!!

My son came during the holidays and I gave him my UDS so it's back to the stick burner till I build another one. I already have the barrel so it shouldn't be too long but here we go.
Costco prime brisket
100_3774.JPG

100_3775.JPG

100_3786.JPG

On the smoker burning pecan. It's really kinda late to start but I had to run around this morning. I'm gonna try the hot and fast method and hopefully not burn it.
100_3787.JPG

Back