• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Unknown pepper, was labeled bhutlah brown SLP- from SLP

Planted some seeds from SLP and both variety of bhutlah. This plant was dark from the start so I kept it going.
Any idea what it might be... It starts out with purpleish pods and then go to plain green ripen to orange and then RED. Top of plant foliage is very dark, Bottom is green and normal. 

Smells of chinese fills the aroma of the pod.

Here are some pictures
DSCF1248_zps27886be4.jpg

DSCF1286_zpse4f5a2f0.jpg

20140611_121841_zpsai0i4rcg.jpg

20140728_124057_zpslo5bvvq7.jpg

Ripen to this
20140809_121023_zpsk0sik4ap.jpg

orange pod. Then ripens to a deep red!

that last picture doesn't look anything like the one before it...?

did you email him and ask? i was going to say with the dark coloration seems like the pimenta / bhut, yaki brown, or similar but then the last picture has orange and yellow pods... whut?

LiL Bag Of TRiX said:
Damn, now I'm worried...

I'd be worried its not a Bhutlah, but I wouldn't be worried about the plants, they look great, and probably taste great too. Pimenta De Neyde crosses are all the rage atm. Im growing a "Maybe Bhutlah" at the moment.. So far mine are green but their tiny... I dare say there will be a lot of hearts broken before the real bhutlahs become common to get hold of..

KrakenPeppers said:

I'd be worried its not a Bhutlah, but I wouldn't be worried about the plants, they look great, and probably taste great too. Pimenta De Neyde crosses are all the rage atm. Im growing a "Maybe Bhutlah" at the moment.. So far mine are green but their tiny... I dare say there will be a lot of hearts broken before the real bhutlahs become common to get hold of..

It can't be a pure bhutlah. The purple is from capsicum annuum. I suspect it crossed with a pimenta de Neyde, because it has strong c. chinese characteristics. What is possible is a bhutlah got accidentally crossed with a pimenta de Neyde though.

Dulac said:

It can't be a pure bhutlah. The purple is from capsicum annuum. I suspect it crossed with a pimenta de Neyde, because it has strong c. chinese characteristics. What is possible is a bhutlah got accidentally crossed with a pimenta de Neyde though.

I wasn't trying to say it was, there's a good chance there's no Bhutlah in them at all. But sometimes you gotta bite the bullet and say oh well, I hope what I do have is good enough to want to keep it.

The problem I imagine with MOST "Bhutlah" stock seed is that its probably a lot of self produced F2 that was exactly what they say, a Bhut x Douglah and while probably a great plant in its own right, they wont be the strains that Melt face that everyone is wanting it to be .. And to make it worse 90% of stock photos are the same and not from there own seed stock results.

Cant help with the ID, but I grew out 3 Brown Bhutlah's from SLP and all turned out different.

One made really dark red/maroon coloured pods, one made brown pods, and one turned out to be a little runt of a plant less then a foot tall. Pods go from light green to orange to red, and is by far the most painful thing iv ever tasted.

Over the last couple of weeks we (multiple people at my work) have tested Brainstrains, SR strain, Brown Moruga, Primo, Choc Scorp, yellow 7 pot, Douglah,s, the other two bhutlah phenos I have, and im sure multiple more plants that are unanimously considered very very hot..the BP3 (bhutlah pheno#3) as I call it is the most painful by far..made the brain strain & primo seem pleasant.

Also, I gave a pack of Douglah seeds and a pack of 7pot SR strain (from SLP) to my girlfriends family in Fiji. When I was over there at christmas time I saw one of the plants from one of those packs of seeds had sprouted is also growing purple foliage similar to what you have. I dont know which pack it came from because they didnt label it...but anyway..its another unknown purple plant from SLP.

Back