• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Unknown Ridiculously Hot Pepper

Hi all

I wonder if anyone here can identify this pepper. I received a half of a dried pod as a gift. It looks like the "regular" (long) red chili pepper only larger in size.

My experience with this pepper:
- At first I nibbled a few tiny pieces off it and it tasted a bit fruity and sweet, it was hot but not too hot.
- Later, i chewed off about 0.5x0.5 cm piece to test it, probably with a bit of placenta sticking to it, little did I know it would create a torture chamber in my mouth. It tasted awful as well, like it was toxic. I spent the next 30 minutes drinking milk and spitting it out :). I'm not exactly used to eating extremely hot peppers but I can handle things like superhot pepper powders without much problem. I never had a superhot raw so I can't compare, all I can say is this pepper is ridiculously hot, I'd say somewhere above Habanero but probably lower than the Ghost Pepper, but that's all coming from my limited experience so take from that what you will.

Pics: (click for hi-res)

Haha. I'm already germinating 9~10 seeds but after that experience yesterday I'm questioning this decision a bit. :D I'll try to grow a few to see what happens. I also have a few extra seeds just in case.

I received it in a plastic bag and kept it in for a while. Is it possible that a pepper gets bad taste from being in a bag for a while like that? It tasted really unpleasant, I can't really describe the taste, it felt a bit like eating metal or something like that.

I may try to chew at it again but maybe this time with food.

Edit:

I ate it with a pizza. It tasted a lot better now for some reason. Maybe I had a bad piece before. The placenta is hot like sun, I only ate the skin around it. Still crazy hot.

I'm definitely growing them now but it would be nice to know what kind of mutant I have on my hands.

Whoa! Looking at this pepper, dried as it is, and broken, I would say is hard to identify it. Ask the one who gave it to you, if he trace it back, or wait to see what will grow.

I doubt it's a true superhot, its appearance was not extremely wrinkly and evil looking like most (all?) of the superhots. It looked unassuming, that's why I bit into it without much thought at first. Its skin was fairly thick. It's very hot but I could finish it off with a pizza so it can't be *that* hot. With superhot flakes, I only need a few tiny pieces for the whole pizza, lol.

The metallic/artificial taste you've described seems to be a part of the heat, not the fruit itself, which is interesting and may be related to how certain chillies in thai food feel soapy to me. Is it a similar taste to sichuan peppercorns or more like chilli extract or aspartame?
Also, is it as woody as it looks?

Well the first bite tasted like eating something toxic, plus a ridiculous amount of heat. My guess is that it was probably spoiled at the top where I bit it, because I was trying hard to spit it out over next half hour. But later it tasted good, no real distinctive flavor (maybe a bit fruity and sweet), but pretty crazy heat.

Not sure what you mean by woody but it was really thick and cripsy.

My "source" says his uncle grows them and that's all the info I was able to obtain on it. :-)

Back