• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

--unripe peppers--

well, we had 45-50 mph wind gust the night before last and that has essentially ended my visqueen hoop house for this year, but i still have lots of unripened pods.....some plants have yet to ripen any pods ((many garden things have been a month or more late this year in western washington state due to no spring sun and cool nights most of the summer)) SO MY QUESTION IS if anyone has ever heard of yanking the plants out of pots, washing away soil, stripping leaves, and hanging upside down in the house until ripe. did i just dream this up? i don't want to bring in the existing pots because i know aphids and overwintering all too well, so i want to introduce as few aphids as possible inside. seems like each winter they get
gang-banged to death by those suckers. this year, for overwintering, its new soil in small sterile pots and roots trimmed and stalks slashed to twigs. i've seen willard3 do this with good success and so thought i'd try....plus it will allow easier ways to wash off aphids on plants if they are not in 5 gallon pots(so heavy) ok folks, thanks for any suggestions and info----peace---bob

Nope, you didn't dream that up. I just did this with my friends plants and it worked out fine. Just keep looking at them every day for rot.

I've heard this before & did this, this season on some plants. but not all pods will ripen I think this has to do as how long the pods been growing or how close its to ripening.

hanging upside down will help ripen some, just like the banana in paper bag trick, just dont expect every pod to ripen.

Hey Texas_Bob, it's been a while since you've been around, how you been.

Chilihunter...is that lava in your new avater? Took me a bit to dischipher it.

imaguitargod said:
Chilihunter...is that lava in your new avater? Took me a bit to dischipher it.

I can see it, IGG tilts head from side to side & squints eyes to figure what picture is..... its your brain on drugs & capsicum :mouthonfire::lol:
but yes it's lava flowing into the ocean, I think its a cool picture.

chilehunter said:
I can see it, IGG tilts head from side to side & squints eyes to figure what picture is..... its your brain on drugs & capsicum :mouthonfire::lol:
but yes it's lava flowing into the ocean, I think its a cool picture.

That's actually exactly what I did.

Had to pick a lot of my peppers green due to weather so put them in bags with bananas and got a lot of ripe ones...check the bags often and take out peppers as they ripen. You may have bags all over the house but still less mess than hanging them upside down. Don't give up, it can take some days for them to ripen.

thanks for all the replys. i wish i was in some tropical local where i could just go harvest some fresh bannanas, and put the pods in a bag with the nanners; but if i could do that, then i wouldn't need to worry about whether frost and chill were a problem would i. better put that tropical visit on the list, but before that, i best go to the store for the nanners and a bag ---THANKS AGAIN---BOB

Back