• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Unripe rocotos

Does anybody have any ideas on uses for unripe rocotos.  My season is about to end here and I have 5 rocoto plants I am going to try to over winter.  I only got about 10-12 ripe pods from them, but there are probably 20-25 pods still on them that are still green.  Just wondering if there is any good ways to use them.

Udually how long does it take a rocoto to ripen? I have some pod in green color for past 3 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

m1hagen said:
Does anybody have any ideas on uses for unripe rocotos.  My season is about to end here and I have 5 rocoto plants I am going to try to over winter.  I only got about 10-12 ripe pods from them, but there are probably 20-25 pods still on them that are still green.  Just wondering if there is any good ways to use them.
If the peppers are full size you could try the advice given at this site.>Chili Pepper Madness-HOW TO RIPEN UNRIPE PEPPERS

The Paper Bag Method. Store the unripe peppers in a paper bag with a ripe tomato or apple. This also works with green tomatoes. The ripe fruit will speed the ripening process and your peppers (and tomatoes) should ripen in a week or longer.

The only thing missing is the reason for the ripe apple or tomato added to the bag, they give off ethylene gas. that helps/speeds ripening.

I have a bunch of rocotos still hanging plenty of green pods. I've been bringing them inside (house and garage) overnight on the cold nights and getting them out or in front of a window during days and they've been ripening for me.  I haven't liked green rocotos in any preparation I've tried yet, so I focus on getting them to ripen.

Maybe check out Podz postings about his salsa making. I think he used all green rocotos in that. 

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/72606-harvest-salsa/

Thanks everybody.  I've had a handful in a paper bag for a week now and they are VERY slowly ripening. I've also been bringing them in at night to protect them from frost but I think this weekend is going to be the end of the season.

I had 100% success with a broken limb with almost a dozen Turbo Pube pods in a brown paper bag and a ripe banana, and I am currently watching several Rocotos ripening in an indirect daylight environment inside. My Turbos had fully mature pods hanging since July, the last of which was picked still half green just yesterday.

Torturously slow, some of these, but absolutely worth the wait!

De Seda Yellow (ask CaneDog about the "yellow" part, I just plant & eat)...
2019-10-31 08.29.44.jpg

Gelbe Riesen
2019-10-31 08.32.09.jpg

These are being overwintered as well...

stettoman said:
I had 100% success with a broken limb with almost a dozen Turbo Pube pods in a brown paper bag and a ripe banana, and I am currently watching several Rocotos ripening in an indirect daylight environment inside. My Turbos had fully mature pods hanging since July, the last of which was picked still half green just yesterday.

I've had a couple branches in water that broke off a non-rocoto pepper plant maybe two weeks ago and many or most of those pods have ripened now. Bringing branches or pods inside if they're somewhat near to ripening is definitely an option.  I also have several (ok, maybe more like two dozen) rocoto plants indoors or in my garage right now and they're all continuing to ripen well despite the limited amount of light they're getting when it's warm enough to set them outside during the day.  Even the ones in the cold garage without sun for a few days are changing color.

Torturously slow, some of these, but absolutely worth the wait!

De Seda Yellow (ask CaneDog about the "yellow" part, I just plant & eat)...
attachicon.gif
2019-10-31 08.29.44.jpg

I'm pretty sure I advertised the De Seda as "yellow/orange" and that just looks like dark orange to me  ;)

Actually, and unfortunately, 1 of my 2 De Seda plants from that seed batch (which I felt certain was from a single pod isolated by an organza bag) also just flashed red.  I'm hoping that the second plant grows true.  They're good looking chunky pods, but they're not the De Seda, that's for sure.

Those square yellow pods in the lower pic (gelbe riesen?) are looking great!

Back