• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Unusual Jolokia chilli

Hi,
I have two Bhut Jolokia the plants seems healthy but i'm just worried since it takes ages for peppers to grow from the flower and ages to turn from green to red (3+ weeks) and the peppers seem to be fat and smooth. 

Both plants have heaps of flowers on them but some seem to drop off easily especially when it's windy and some flower tips have an odd brown colour. 
I don't know if perhaps it's the fertiliser i'm using or if theres no pollen. Both plants are next to each other. 

I'm not sure if this is normal so hopefully someone can share some advice ? 
Thanks heaps for any help. 

qTYb5Rpl.jpg

AZyur3el.jpg

NwUKzN2l.jpg

In the second pic there seems to be a pod forming and the flower petals have stuck to it and are drying out and dying. This is normal.

Plants tend to lose flowers. Not all of them will set, especially if it is the first time a plant is flowering. It seems to take a bit for the plant to "figure" out what it is doing. This is also normal.

All in all, I think those plants look stellar. Nice looking pods. Just chill and let em do their thing and you'll be rewarded nicely.

sirex said:
In the second pic there seems to be a pod forming and the flower petals have stuck to it and are drying out and dying. This is normal.

Plants tend to lose flowers. Not all of them will set, especially if it is the first time a plant is flowering. It seems to take a bit for the plant to "figure" out what it is doing. This is also normal.

All in all, I think those plants look stellar. Nice looking pods. Just chill and let em do their thing and you'll be rewarded nicely.

Thanks heaps for the response ! 
This is my first time growing these so wasn't sure if It was an issue. Yeah I noticed the first 7 pods came really quick on the first plant but after that its taking some time for them to start turning another colour. Perhaps this could be due to the 100+ degree weather? 

How do you know if you have to hand pollenate the plants and add Epsom salt ? 

SvtCobra said:
  Those are unusual looking for a Bhut. They look more like naga jolokia.

They are very unusual ! 

Finally one of the pods turned red yesterday so i'm going to try it tonight (hopefully it's hot like the devils butt). I haven't been able to find which type of Jolokia they are. 
They look like a cross between Yellow and Naga. 

shazam1 said:

Thanks heaps for the response ! 
This is my first time growing these so wasn't sure if It was an issue. Yeah I noticed the first 7 pods came really quick on the first plant but after that its taking some time for them to start turning another colour. Perhaps this could be due to the 100+ degree weather? 

How do you know if you have to hand pollenate the plants and add Epsom salt ? 

They are very unusual ! 

Finally one of the pods turned red yesterday so i'm going to try it tonight (hopefully it's hot like the devils butt). I haven't been able to find which type of Jolokia they are. 
They look like a cross between Yellow and Naga. 
Where did you get your seeds?

shazam1 said:

Do you think the cross would cause them to have less heat ? 
Quite possibly yes. It depends on what it was crossed with. Crosses can take on characteristics of either parent. So if it was crossed with a not so spicy pepper it will effect the heat level. It might even taste bitter and off.

SvtCobra said:
Quite possibly yes. It depends on what it was crossed with. Crosses can take on characteristics of either parent. So if it was crossed with a not so spicy pepper it will effect the heat level. It might even taste bitter and off.

Thanks for the info ! 

I guess it would be hard to tell what it's been crossed with, the retailer said it was Bhut Jolokia but the plant gets full sunlight in 100 degree+ weather and has gotten plenty of water since we've had very rainy weather since I got it. 

Well , in 100F heat a lot of flowers Will drop. Pollen becomes sterile at 95F I have heard. I do know in that heat in the summer Here in FL I drop flowers.

You shouldn't have to hand pollinate. Just grab the main trunk and jiggle and shake it. That's enough movement to distribute the pollen in the flower. That also jiggles off the flowers that will drop.

I add epsom when my leaves start to turn yellow and the veins of the leaf stay green.

sirex said:
Well , in 100F heat a lot of flowers Will drop. Pollen becomes sterile at 95F I have heard. I do know in that heat in the summer Here in FL I drop flowers.

You shouldn't have to hand pollinate. Just grab the main trunk and jiggle and shake it. That's enough movement to distribute the pollen in the flower. That also jiggles off the flowers that will drop.

I add epsom when my leaves start to turn yellow and the veins of the leaf stay green.

How can I keep the plant cool when it's out in the sun all day ? I want to try to maximise growth as I only have another 30 days of summer before the fall season starts. 

Morning sun and afternoon sun, well evening sun really, are the best times for getting sun if you're not using a shadecloth.   Some people leave their plants under a tredd so they get shaded by the tree during the hottest time of the day.

Where are you in OZ? Is the winter harsh? What are the average temps during winter?

sirex said:
Morning sun and afternoon sun, well evening sun really, are the best times for getting sun if you're not using a shadecloth.   Some people leave their plants under a tredd so they get shaded by the tree during the hottest time of the day.

Where are you in OZ? Is the winter harsh? What are the average temps during winter?

I'll look into the shade cloth idea but might just have to reposition it in the garden as the weather changes. 

I"m located in Sydney, not harsh compared with America it's around 40 - 59 degree. 

Can anyone recommend a fertiliser and tell me how often to apply ? 

This is the analysis of my current one 
W/V: Nitrogen (N) 14.0%. Phosphorus (P) 1.4%. Potassium (K) 9.0%

Back