• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Unusual Vietnamese Chilli

Burning Colon said:
but, a really cool thing with this variety is the pinching of leaves, i posted something on this years ago but don't know if the post is available. the pinching of leaves will easily triple your pod production. my plants are still overwintering so i can't take pictures to show you. but, once you start you won't be able to stop, it is that addictive!

when you see two large main leaves, then the two smaller mini leaves in a four set, pinch the mini leaves and they will produce 2 more or quad more i should say. and when your plant starts to produce look out, it will triple bud from the new leaves. it is really cool and like i said, really, really addictive once you get started. once you experience this, you will grow goatsweed(or black cobra) every year just to satisfy the need to pinch!

Very cool tip BC! I have a tall, skinny Goat's Weed growing that looks very much like the one in the pot Psmythe pictured. It has lots of side branching down near the bottom third of the plant... some of them 5 inches long. Do you think pinching off the tips of those side branches would force more?
SANY1531_zpsf7388ad1.jpg

SANY1567_zps1145551c.jpg

Thanks for your input. :)

"Topping", I believe.

I top all of mine to keep them short and stocky due to high winds outside, and to keep them shorter inside to fit under the lights.

If you top before forking, you get 4 branches when forked, instead of 2, top twice you get a bunch more, any more than that and you get mini peppers.

My first top is just after second set of true leaves are fully developed, second topping is after second set of true leaves are fully developed on all 4 branches.

Slow growing Chinense's only get 1 topping for single season outside, heavy pruning after first harvest for overwinter inside. (Multiple topping of branches without regard to leaf maturity).

Peppers in very small pots (gallon or less) get extreme pruning for shape, to allow for window sill placement---and small pepper production in the winter months.

Back