• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

UPDATE...New White Flowered C. Pubescens or Hybrid????

Here are a few Pics of a C. Pubescen I've been growing for 2 years now,
I obtained the seeds from seed bank in the Netherlands as CGN 22797
I sowed 4 seeds and 3 of the plants were normal but as you can see the fourth is very different.
the first year only produced a few pods which were aborted due to the cold winter weather
but the second year I was able to isolate a few pods....
As you can see the seeds from the white flower strain are a tan coloring not the usual black
that the C. Pubescens normally have.....however the original seeds were black, so I would think this to be a Hybrid perhaps????
It will be interesting germinating the next f2 generation of this Capsicum plant...

the purple flower strain;

IMG_3879.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg

the white flower strain;

IMG_3867.jpg

IMG_4054.jpg

IMG_4058.jpg

WhiteFlowerCPubescens.jpg

P1220024.jpg

CPubescens_whieflower.jpg

Interesting... it looks like a C. chinense, but grows obvious C. pubescens pods. do they taste C. pubescens or C. chinense? how hot are they?
Most likely it is a mutation of some sort, as C. pubescens don't cross well if at all with other species.

:woohoo: Cannot wait to grow this out.
To every rule there is an exception, do not forget that Omri.

Grant when i planted the seeds they looked like they had been murdered by a dehydrator. Now i know!
F'n awesome.

You are right my dear friend. nature usually finds a way.

Would be absolutely brilliant growing those seeds. that might solve the mystery. would REALLY like a cutting, though. :P

Please let me know if the seeds were to be shared around. thank you.

Perhaps somebody can find a photo of Rocoto San Isidro seeds for comparison the seeds pictured above?
Don't think that matters much. brown to black colors are quite common. the actual color also changes with the conditions the plant was grown in, so hard to match a certain color to a certain species or variety. it might be a pigmentation thing, but likely it isn't. they do look big and chunky like C. pubescens seeds should.

Hey brother, i just checked my seed stash. I have ONE seed left of this.
To me this represents awesomeness from all angles, my seedling is only about Deagle high atm however it will survive.
Gimme a pm tomorrow after i clean my smelly box.

Ok Im stumped - What is with the straw piece at the base of the pod? Great looking peppers BTW !! and the taste?

That is a really cool looking plant. It doesn't seem nearly as hairy as it's purple couterpart; it's almost like an albino.

Btw...you ordered the seeds from a seedbank in the Netherlands? Can anybody do that?

id think hybrid. i dont see any hairs on the leaves
Not all Capsicum species cross pollinate with others. that might have been the obvious answer for most chiles, but C. pubescens chiles are not really into other species. :P

Interesting... it looks like a C. chinense, but grows obvious C. pubescens pods. do they taste C. pubescens or C. chinense? how hot are they?
Most likely it is a mutation of some sort, as C. pubescens don't cross well if at all with other species.

the taste is sweet and it's very juicy, I'd say that the heat would be on par with a thai chilli perhaps a bit under

:woohoo: Cannot wait to grow this out.
To every rule there is an exception, do not forget that Omri.

Grant when i planted the seeds they looked like they had been murdered by a dehydrator. Now i know!
F'n awesome.

Hi Scott do you have any pics of seedlings?

Perhaps somebody can find a photo of Rocoto San Isidro seeds for comparison the seeds pictured above?

yes that would be interesting, just as a comparison!!!!

Don't think that matters much. brown to black colors are quite common. the actual color also changes with the conditions the plant was grown in, so hard to match a certain color to a certain species or variety. it might be a pigmentation thing, but likely it isn't. they do look big and chunky like C. pubescens seeds should.

the shape and size of the seeds are identical to other C. Pubescens, yes the pigmentation could be a factor in the colouration of the seeds???

Ok Im stumped - What is with the straw piece at the base of the pod? Great looking peppers BTW !! and the taste?

as Omri stated.. it was a way of idenifying which pod were isolated

id think hybrid. i dont see any hairs on the leaves

perhaps so, it could be a hybrid, or it could be a trait which is associated with white flowers in the C. Pubescens species
do you or anyone else know if the if the rocoto largo san isidro variety has less pubescents (less hairyness)

If it is indeed an hybrid between a C. Pubescens and another domesticated specie of pepper then this is very interesting.

Maybe JR has stumbled upon the "bridge" pepper that we were missing.

I say its worth the trouble of crossing:

Any C. Chinense with JR Mutant C. Pubescens ( cross 1)

Any C. Pubescens with JR Mutant C. Pubescens (cross 2)

If it works then try:

Cross 1 with cross 2

cross 1 with JR Mutant C. Pubescens

cross 2 with JR Mutant C. Pubescens

and then maybe back-crossing the resulting plants with a C. Pubescens and/or with a C. Pubescens

Lots of work here... :)

Bleash

Edit: Typo

Bizarre. I wonder if this thing could be a new species, and able to readily cross-pollinate with multiple existing (parent) pepper species. That would be pretty crazy, but at the same time it would be very interesting and potentially breathe new life/variety into pepper cultivars. :shocked:

Then again, it could be a rocoto that has the unfortunate side-effect of crossing with all the other major varieties and ruining their traditional ability to refuse pollination (and therefore crossing) with other pepper species. Which would mean that if you have a single C. pubescens variety and one or more other species, you chances of saving pure C. pubescens seeds would be diminished.

perhaps so, it could be a hybrid, or it could be a trait which is associated with white flowers in the C. Pubescens species
do you or anyone else know if the if the rocoto largo san isidro variety has less pubescents (less hairyness)

I had a look around at some photos of the Rocoto San Isidro and found some were rather hairy and some that were not. The hairiness of your White-flower Rocoto doesn't seem to differ much from the orange variety I grow. I have some Rocoto plants that are less fuzzy than I expected.

Is there a lack of pigmentation in any other aspects of the plant? At the nodes perhaps?

Back