• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Upstate New York Growing?

Another Syracusan here, Ive been picking green jalapenos(cracked) for  around 10 days now, reapers are the only other plants producing pods.
Scorpions, orange bhuts, choc habs, datils are flowering like crazy.
Started them in early Feb, outside first week in May and got lucky with the frost. Everything is in 5 gal. pails.

Another Syracusan here, Ive been picking green jalapenos(cracked) for  around 10 days now, reapers are the only other plants producing pods.
Scorpions, orange bhuts, choc habs, datils are flowering like crazy.
Started them in early Feb, outside first week in May and got lucky with the frost. Everything is in 5 gal. pails.

Looks like I got to a very slow start lol. I know better for next year I guess. Hope I get a few pods at least.

I'm in baldwinsville...5-7 gallon buckets...I Dont dare plant out without them. Would t surprise me if it frosted tomorrow.. buckets easier to move indoors

I'm in baldwinsville...5-7 gallon buckets...I Dont dare plant out without them. Would t surprise me if it frosted tomorrow.. buckets easier to move indoors

That's what I figured with these crazy weather changes. What are you guys doing in the winter do you save the plant or start fresh?

Overwintering gives a huge head start. The only downside is the room they take up for the winter months, if you have the space I'd say try to overwinter a plant or 2 and see how they do next year

sicman said:
Where upstate? I'm from Watertown.

Star Lake - Adirondacks here. I was up last this past September, Watertown has gotten a bit larger than when I was last there. Watertown had the closest mall for us I think.

Another Syracusan here.  I started my first batch of seeds on 2/1.  This is my first year growing from seed so it's been quite the learning experience but with the great resources here on THP, I've been successful so far.  

Buiding a grow box was key to getting them going while the snow was still piling up outside.  Then it was months of tending until the weather stabilized enough to move them outside to my new raised beds.  It's been a TON of work getting all the things in place and built for these guys to have the proper growing space they need but now the hardest part is done so next year should be rinse and repeat.  Good luck!

Im up by toronto canada. Ive got about 15 plants growing, i started them in jan/feb indoors under grow lights, to which they did very well. right now there outside in our shed/greenhouse. all doing ok, for the exception of the aphids.... :confused:

Western NY'er here.  Started germinating my seeds 1st week of March. Jalapenos, Paper Lantern Habaneros, and Serranos.  In Solo cups in a grow box until I transferred them outside into 5 gal pails on May 10. They were doing real well until recently.  The cool, wet weather seems to be getting the better of them right now.  They've all got flowers but no fruit started yet.  I'd like to see things warm up and dry out.

Back