• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

using a food mill when making sauces

salsalady

Business Member
I did a little "for fun" hot sauce this fall and thought I'd share the food mill pictures.  The sauce was 1/2 fermented and 1/2 fresh.

Ferment-
red jalapenos
garlic
onion
apples
Caldwells starter-diluted

ran the ferment for about 6 weeks, no particular reason why, that's just how long it worked out.

fresh-
red jalapeno
red bell
onion
garlic
apple juice
pears

Cooked up the fresh and fermented, hit it with the immersion blender then flat pans in the refer for several days

When I finally got time to run it, here's how the food mill process came out. 

This is about half of the batch, 5 quarts (4+L) of sauce , 2 cups tailings-
IMG_3804.JPG

IMG_3805.JPG

These were recycled bottles with new caps, so I didn't have a box to use for the Invert portion of the process.  These bottles are up-ended in a dish rack-
IMG_3810.JPG

use what you have, get creative ...

8 pints with a boiling water bath.  pH was <3.0 with no vinegar.
IMG_3809.JPG

It does take a bit of time to work all the sauce through the food mill, I probably spent an hour working ~3 gallons of sauce and ended up with 10 quarts of sauce and 4 cups of tailings.  The tailings can be dried and powdered, I don't have the time right now for that, so I just pitched it.  We like the texture of the sauce without the seeds.  It's a thick sauce but without the hard bits of seeds and skins.  I'm hoping that after the further cooking and processing the consistency will have smoothed out even a bit more. 

Back