• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

flavor Using Ascorbic acid for flavor?

So I initially became interested in trying to make my own hot sauce when my wife fell in love with Tabascos green stuff. I attempted to make my own based on a simple recipe I found on the internet, and it sort of came close, but after a few days it tasted bland compared to Tabascos product. The biggest element I'm missing is the upfront tartness that the green sauce has. If you look at the ingredient list the only item that seems like it would contribute this flavor is the ascorbic acid.

According to the label:
Distilled VinegarJalapeno Pepper, WaterSaltCorn StarchXanthan GumAscorbic Acid to Preserve Freshness.

I've tried using lime juice and lemon juice but neither really did the job, so I'm wondering if anyone here uses ascorbic acid for flavor?

Just grab some and let us know! PS it is a bright green sauce, so the purpose of it is to keep the color, anti-oxidant (no oxidation) in case you didn't know, but yes, it has flavor as well, so you may want to mess with levels. Don't forget the vinegar (the main preservative) adds sourness/tang as well, and I know Tabasco uses a premium white distilled. So play with those. Just don't get the petroleum stuff. It should say it is made from corn, like Heinz.

The Hot Pepper said:
Just grab some and let us know! PS it is a bright green sauce, so the purpose of it is to keep the color, anti-oxidant (no oxidation) in case you didn't know, but yes, it has flavor as well, so you may want to mess with levels. Don't forget the vinegar (the main preservative) adds sourness/tang as well, and I know Tabasco uses a premium white distilled. So play with those. Just don't get the petroleum stuff. It should say it is made from corn, like Heinz.

Oh that makes sense because it is a bright green. Mine darkened considerably after about a week. The vinegar adds a lot of this flavor, but the first time I used it, it seemed to mellow out a lot after a few days. I'm thinking with the citric/ascorbic acids it might hold it's punch longer.

This particular ferment will be opened next month, but I'll come back and share my results with pictures or something. With the vast amount of information on this forum I'm surprised it's not more active. 

The 1/2 tsp in a quart of canned tomatoes for example is barely noticeable. I highly doubt you would ever taste it. With all the vinegar in hot sauce im nearly certain you wont taste 1/4tsp in a quart of sauce. Try lime juice as an alternative. It contains citric acid, ascorbic acid and malic acid. You will probably taste the lime juice but it pairs well with lots of hot sauces.

Also keep in mind you're trying to replicate a sauce by a company that's been doing this 150 years. :lol: It's not as easy as reading ingredients and mixing.

Back