• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Using black garlic in sauce

This may be a silly question, but first year attempting fermented hot sauce at home and I want to use black garlic.
The black garlic is already fermented so do I add it in my final blend or can I add it when I add all my pepper pods to the brine?

Part of the allure of black garlic is the sweetness. Adding it to the brine will result in the Lactobacillus consuming those sugars.

If anaerobic fermentation is the consumption of sugars to make acids, then how can black garlic be sweet? I don't think black garlic is fermented at all. Black garlic is essentially "cooked" at 60C+ for weeks/months. I liken it to more like a slow reduction of balsamic vinegar leaving you with a concentrated sweetness but still that garlic flavour. Fermented garlic looses its garlicyness and while it's tasty, it's not nearly as flavoursome as raw or black garlic.

Siv said:
Part of the allure of black garlic is the sweetness. Adding it to the brine will result in the Lactobacillus consuming those sugars.

If anaerobic fermentation is the consumption of sugars to make acids, then how can black garlic be sweet? I don't think black garlic is fermented at all. Black garlic is essentially "cooked" at 60C+ for weeks/months. I liken it to more like a slow reduction of balsamic vinegar leaving you with a concentrated sweetness but still that garlic flavour. Fermented garlic looses its garlicyness and while it's tasty, it's not nearly as flavoursome as raw or black garlic.
Thank you and yes the garlic is slowly cooked for a long time 4-8weeks. Your response has been helpful thank you.

Back