• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Using capillary matting

Hi everyone!

So, I'm leaving my plants for six days and there's no one to take care of them when I'm gone. They are about 6-7" tall. I bought a capillary mat to do the job but while testing it I recognized the soil being wet and almost soggy. Is this really a problem? I figure the plants would only use the water it needs, however I know they dislike having wet feet.

Is it better to give them some proper watering the day I leave risking too dry plants for the last 2-3 days before I get home, or should I use the capillary mat risking over watered plants?

Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks!

/Bjornson

filmost said:
perhaps you could reduce the contact between the mat and the plants some how?
Maybe, on my test run I used 3x3" pots with two 0.5" holes in the bottom of every pot. But I figure in two days or so the soil would be equally saturated regardless of the contact

Hum.. Well my best of luck to you! Do let us know how it goes and what you end up doing. I am planning a long trip back to the states this summer, 3-4 weeks probably, and am already trying to figure out what to do.

What kind of setup are they growing in?
They're small enough that you could put clear plastic bags over them.  This would cut transpiration water loss significantly.  Maybe cut some holes to avoid creating an excessively humid environment. (?)

filmost said:
Hum.. Well my best of luck to you! Do let us know how it goes and what you end up doing. I am planning a long trip back to the states this summer, 3-4 weeks probably, and am already trying to figure out what to do.
Some of the plants got leaf oedema from the test so I can almost certainly say peppers don't like capillary matting which shouldn't really be a surprise. Well, it was worth a test and now I know better!

Am I the only one not feeling comfortable with leaving the plants to friends or family while going away? :)
Geonerd said:
What kind of setup are they growing in?
They're small enough that you could put clear plastic bags over them.  This would cut transpiration water loss significantly.  Maybe cut some holes to avoid creating an excessively humid environment. (?)
I'm using 90/10 soil and perlite.

Thanks, that's a brilliant idea and should also keep spider mites away :dance: . The indoor air is super dry here in Sweden during the winter.

Do leave holes for the plants to breathe.  If they run out of C02, they'll stop growing ... or worse.

A tent of white, fine pitch fabric might(?) also work fairly well.  It would keep the bugs out and cut water loss, but still allow enough gas and light to reach the plant.

Geonerd said:
Do leave holes for the plants to breathe.  If they run out of C02, they'll stop growing ... or worse.

A tent of white, fine pitch fabric might(?) also work fairly well.  It would keep the bugs out and cut water loss, but still allow enough gas and light to reach the plant.
Thanks, this was very helpful!

Have you tried the one with water in a bottle and then some yarn from the bottle to the plant? I have never tried it with peppers so I don't know if it'll work.

Nulle said:
Have you tried the one with water in a bottle and then some yarn from the bottle to the plant? I have never tried it with peppers so I don't know if it'll work.
Nice tip, but no I haven't tried that. I'll probably just give the plants a proper watering before I leave and cross my fingers they're alive when I get back :party:

Back