• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Using fresh worm castings

So I just harvested about 15 gallons of worm castings from my worm bin tower. After sifting through it a bit Im curious ... how do you guys that vermicompost use the castings? Do you use it fresh out of the bin straight into your soil. Keep in mind Im using it for CONTAINER plants.

The reason I ask is that there are thousands upon thousands of cocoons and eggs in there. Im assuming if I used it fresh the worms will hatch (not to mention I might have missed a few) and could possibly cause problems with the plants roots??

Ive read that worms usually wont affect a healthy plants roots, but if theres not much material in the soil for them to eat Im wondering if they might. My only thought was maybe to dry them out for a week or two before usage ... that maybe that might kill the cocoons?? Or maybe I shouldnt worry about it and just use them fresh as is straight into my soil mix?

What do you guys think?

I'm pretty sure those types of worms won't hurt your plant roots at all. Seems they like their food to start decomposing a little before they eat it. If you don't need more worms for another bin, I think you can use the material with the eggs and stuff without worry.
Some people make a worm compost tea and use the liquid on the plants. Do a search on this forum and you should find directions.

Back