• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Using Jiffy Pellets for germination

Hotpeppa said:
here's another question that just popped up...smiles

would it be ok to transplant the entire pellet into coco coir since that is the medium i will be using ?

Take the webbing off the outside, or at least split it if taking it off would damage too many of the roots. You don't need to knock off any of the peat substrate.

Pam said:
Take the webbing off the outside, or at least split it if taking it off would damage too many of the roots. You don't need to knock off any of the peat substrate.

thanks Pam !

well alrighty then, i think i am set !

:lol:

Depending on what stage your seedlings are when you transplant. I usually take the "mesh" right off and that has worked well for me. I have found that if you keep the mesh on, the roots tend to get bound up.

I have some serious issues with mold on my Jiffy's at present, but I know it's because of too much water. I'm trying to dry them out by draining the tray they are in and giving them some more air outside of the dome.

Sydtunes said:
Depending on what stage your seedlings are when you transplant. I usually take the "mesh" right off and that has worked well for me. I have found that if you keep the mesh on, the roots tend to get bound up.

I have some serious issues with mold on my Jiffy's at present, but I know it's because of too much water. I'm trying to dry them out by draining the tray they are in and giving them some more air outside of the dome.

what are you growing this season Syd ?

Right now I've just got 18 Bhut's that I started in late November. They are about 3-4" tall right now... I really wanted to get a head start because last year I had none of them work for me. Plus what I thought were Bhut's (bought from a loser on eBay) turned out to be regular some freakish hab..

I might start up some Savina's & 7-Pod's tonight. I've got a 2nd Jiffy tray just screamin' to be used....

Sydtunes said:
Right now I've just got 18 Bhut's that I started in late November. They are about 3-4" tall right now... I really wanted to get a head start because last year I had none of them work for me. Plus what I thought were Bhut's (bought from a loser on eBay) turned out to be regular some freakish hab..

I might start up some Savina's & 7-Pod's tonight. I've got a 2nd Jiffy tray just screamin' to be used....

wow !

you got a really good head start... sht ! i wanted to start that early as well but i was afraid it was a little too early...

what are you using for the bhuts ? how are you doing it ?

Hotpeppa said:
wow !

you got a really good head start... sht ! i wanted to start that early as well but i was afraid it was a little too early...

what are you using for the bhuts ? how are you doing it ?

I started some Bhut's in Jiffy pellets and some in a no-name seed starting mix from Rona. I haven't given them any fert. yet, just water. I've got them under 2 Fluorescent GroLux bulbs on a stand in my furnace room. They are doing very well. I'll eventually move them to another grow stand that I have out in my office where they'll have more room to grow.

I'll start giving them some fert. soon though.

Sydtunes said:
I started some Bhut's in Jiffy pellets and some in a no-name seed starting mix from Rona. I haven't given them any fert. yet, just water. I've got them under 2 Fluorescent GroLux bulbs on a stand in my furnace room. They are doing very well. I'll eventually move them to another grow stand that I have out in my office where they'll have more room to grow.

I'll start giving them some fert. soon though.

good stuff SYD, you are ahead of the game by far...

makes me wish i had started earlier december..lol;)

good luck... keep in touch with the progress, i would love to know.

Hotpeppa said:
hmmm, thanks everyone.. the info is good and will help me...

just one more question, would you transplant the entire pellet once the plant is big enough into something bigger ? or would you shake off the peat pellet to the roots then transplant ?

i am a beginner so, sorry for the dumb questions..lol

Hotpeppa said:
here's another question that just popped up...smiles

would it be ok to transplant the entire pellet into coco coir since that is the medium i will be using ?

Firstly...Not dumb questions...I logged on this morning to ask the exact same 2 questions as I have 2 fatalii's sprouted in jiffy pellets, and didn't really know what to do next.

Pam said:

Thank god........I was getting worried....

I got my 2 fatalii's in jiffy and took off the mesh, then planted them straight into a coir perlite mix......THEN thought, Oh have I done the right thing....Better ask the guys and gal at THP....Then I log on and the question and answer is already up...:lol:

moyboy said:
Firstly...Not dumb questions...I logged on this morning to ask the exact same 2 questions as I have 2 fatalii's sprouted in jiffy pellets, and didn't really know what to do next.

Thank god........I was getting worried....

I got my 2 fatalii's in jiffy and took off the mesh, then planted them straight into a coir perlite mix......THEN thought, Oh have I done the right thing....Better ask the guys and gal at THP....Then I log on and the question and answer is already up...:lol:

ha ha ha,

well you're welcome MOYBOYYY..lol

sometimes i get carried away with all the questions, but i think i should just let loose because i have a thousand more questions that need to be answered..lol:lol:

Back