• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Using Tote box/Plastic bin as pot for pepper plants???

I notice the bigger pots cost about $30-50, and a tote box of around 70 L is only around $5 - 6, I'm just wondering why I dont see people using tote boxes as pots for their pepper plants?? Is it because the tote box will crack under the sun? or release chemicals that are harmful to plants or the chemicals will get absorbed into the fruit?

What is stopping people from using these plastic bins as pots for their plants? I mean it makes economic sense

I've been stocking up on 5 gallon buckets for this season. A lot of restaurants and grocery stores throw them right into the trash. They're durable, free, and work well if you just make a few drainage holes. Similar to the totes that you're talking about!

I notice the bigger pots cost about $30-50, and a tote box of around 70 L is only around $5 - 6, I'm just wondering why I dont see people using tote boxes as pots for their pepper plants?? Is it because the tote box will crack under the sun? or release chemicals that are harmful to plants or the chemicals will get absorbed into the fruit?

What is stopping people from using these plastic bins as pots for their plants? I mean it makes economic sense

i use grow bags. 3 and 10 gallon. and just recently 1 gallon. they all cost around the same, i think the 10 gallon bags are like 50cents a pop when you buy 50? 1 gallon ones are like a quarter. i dont see much need to go beyond 10 gallons unless its an over wintered plant or something like that. i could see 15 gallons or so but not more.

on the other hand i have an automated system, where as someone who is hand watering might appreciate something bigger. i also use peat lite mix which is super high in porosity, perhaps a more organic composty mix needs more room? idk, but i had to prune my bih jolokias 3 times last year to keep the branches off the ground.
when they dry out(when i forget to switch the pumps back to auto) they tend to get knocked over by high wind, but this is more to due with the bottoms of the grow bags not being flat enough.

if you were looking to spend a grip... lowes has some really nice square trashcans that are like 28 gallons? for 25 bucks. they have heavy duty handles and would last forever i suspect. those would make great tree containers imo. im thinking of buying one for my baby citrus, and bolting castors onto a wooden frame for it. its way to small for it atm tho.

Aesthetics is the reason big pots sell for more money. Storage bins/buckets/bags will work just fine if you put your growing above impressing the neighbors with big fancy flowerpots. I received many compliments on my pepper plants last season, but none of my neighbors complimented me on my choice of black and grey buckets. I am okay with that and can not wait to do the same again this year. Four months of twenty black and grey buckets full of lovely pepper plants...

Not sure how UV stable they are with other plastics and might break down after a couple of years, not sure about being see through if lots of algae will grow as well...

This guys been successful. If you watch. He makes it to a SWC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7s1p8BCLP4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Back