• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Vacation and care for my plants

So I now have some nice pepper plants growing thanks to this forum and I have a new question/problem.

I am heading down to Florida for 2 weeks starting this coming Saturday and I was hoping to get some advice as to the care of my plants when I am gone. When I am here I look at the constantly so I never worry about them drying out or anything but being gone for 2 weeks stressing me out a bit.

My plants are in the plastic cups right now, 4 holes in the bottom in with some homemade potting mix(compost, peat, worm castings and perlite)  I have a friend who can stop by to check on them every 3-4 days. I am currently watering them from the bottom a few minutes every other day.

Right now they are under a 4 ft t-5 grow light but I was thinking I could move some of them to my kitchen window while we are gone so I can get a jump start on planting my tomatoes and having the grow light available to them when they sprout. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

I think the biggest danger is your friend over watering them.  I'd leave detailed instructions.  

I wouldn't move anything if you are leaving as long as the lights are on a timer.  That would only introduce new factors.  

Your tomato sprouts will be fine in a kitchen window until you get home.  Those buggers grow fast and will take some time to pop anyway.   

Overwatering or forgetting them after planning to stop by the 4th day are indeed the biggest worries. I wouldn't move them, as you now know when and how much water they consume. If you move them to a window they might get cold and stall or perhaps get too warm and stretch. As you won't be around for 2 weeks, any issues are discovered too late to easily recover from.

Great advice everyone.

I will leave them as is and move the new seeding tomatoes to the window in the house.
Thanks again!

Back