• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Vampire Pepper

Bought a plant from the local nursery yesterday to fill a hole in my greenhouse. It was called a Vampire and claims to have black chilies that ripen red. The plant is green with some purple and the flowers look like they will be purple too. I found one website that lists the Vampire pepper.

http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Vegetable+Seeds/New+Vegetables+for+2013/Pepper+Chilli+Seeds+-+F1+Vampire_159918.htm

Anyone ever heard of it? I'm guessing it might be a Purple Jalapeno or Black Hungarian.

Sounds and looks like a relative of the Czech black/Hungarian black group.  The pods look longer and thinner ("fang-shaped"; how precious) than my Czech blacks, but the purple flowers, black-ripening-to-red, and general aspect of the plant in the picture are similar.

The Czech blacks are some of the prettiest pepper plants I've ever seen.  They're supposed to be somewhat jalapeno-like, but I think they're worth having around for looks no matter *what* they taste like.

-NT

From what I've read F1 plants are big $ if they sell for a long time.

I've read that China among other low cost of labor places have cloning down to perfection on an assembly line type setup under conditions similar to making some electronics parts.Clean room,mostly sterile environment/workplace.
What I read is the cuttings are kept at exact temps. and humidity and little is left to chance.
I forget what the average success rate was but it was VERY high,90+% I think.
They do a LOT of stock for a LOT of commercial plant suppliers as far as Hybrids go.

They cross a few plants and clone the stuff they decide will sell,not just vegies,anything.
They do the same with stuff that needs grafting.
It was an interesting read.
I think I might have seen a Discovery Channel show on it too.
I'm sure you can google it up if you want to.

They MASS produce clones of stuff after it gets developed.
Thy are F1 which insures an unstable product that can't,for the most part be re grown from seed,insuring the producer of a continuing market for whatever people like that they clone.

All they have to have is a mother plant and they are set up for life after the first clones get grown out.
No backcrossing etc.THEY WANT UNSTABLE STUFF.It ensures future biz.
Clones grow true.As long as the market wants something they pump it out,en mass.

Steiner said:
Bought a plant from the local nursery yesterday to fill a hole in my greenhouse. It was called a Vampire and claims to have black chilies that ripen red. The plant is green with some purple and the flowers look like they will be purple too. I found one website that lists the Vampire pepper.

http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Vegetable+Seeds/New+Vegetables+for+2013/Pepper+Chilli+Seeds+-+F1+Vampire_159918.htm

Anyone ever heard of it? I'm guessing it might be a Purple Jalapeno or Black Hungarian.

I've never heard of it either, but do agree that it sounds like, or similar to, Czech Black.
Please post more about it as it grows.

I can't see how cloning could be used to mass-produce F1 seed. Once the F1 has sprouted, yeah sure--clone away.  But unless they've found a way to make the F1 plants produce seed apomictically (without meiosis) there will always be the problem of recombination.
smokemaster said:
They cross a few plants and clone the stuff they decide will sell,not just vegies,anything.
They do the same with stuff that needs grafting.
It was an interesting read.
I think I might have seen a Discovery Channel show on it too.
I'm sure you can google it up if you want to.

They MASS produce clones of stuff after it gets developed.
Thy are F1 which insures an unstable product that can't,for the most part be re grown from seed,insuring the producer of a continuing market for whatever people like that they clone.

Ají hombre said:
I can't see how cloning could be used to mass-produce F1 seed. Once the F1 has sprouted, yeah sure--clone away.  But unless they've found a way to make the F1 plants produce seed apomictically (without meiosis) there will always be the problem of recombination.

I'd assume they grow out F1 seed in the usual way, then mass-clone the plants they like.  The idea would be to mass-produce starts, not seed.

Nothing wrong with it as long as people understand what they're getting, I guess.  Most casual plant buyers undoubtedly don't have any plans to save seed, so they couldn't care less if the plant is stable or not.

-NT

I think the name F1 Vampire is a misnomer. The seeds are for sale as F1 Vampire, but I don't think they are selling F1 hybrid seeds. If that was the case, there would be no way of knowing what the plants grown from that seed would look like right? It sounds like the name F1 Vampire may have stuck to a plant through it's many generations. These plants were grown from a local grower here and sold through the nursery. I don't think they are grafted plants.

a7nw.jpg

Here's the first pepper. It looks like the peppers are green then turn black from sunlight

Steiner said:
I think the name F1 Vampire is a misnomer. The seeds are for sale as F1 Vampire, but I don't think they are selling F1 hybrid seeds. If that was the case, there would be no way of knowing what the plants grown from that seed would look like right? It sounds like the name F1 Vampire may have stuck to a plant through it's many generations. These plants were grown from a local grower here and sold through the nursery. I don't think they are grafted plants.
F1 seeds always grow the same. It's when you get to F2 and above the trouble / fun starts. The F1 will always show the dominant genes of the parents, when you get to F2 the other genes will surface. So as long as you have the parents, you can make as many F1 seeds as you want, and they will always be the same.

"Anyone ever heard of it? I'm guessing it might be a Purple Jalapeno or Black Hungarian"
Maybe a Black Transylvanian Pepper?

I couldn't wait and tried the first pod while it was still black. Bleeeck & no heat at all. Hopefully the ripe ones are better.

Back