• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Variation in shapes and sizes

Below are some Caribbean Reds I picked tonight from a few of my plants that are in the ground getting the same water, nutes and in the same soil. If I liked a certain shape of one of these is there a good chance saving the seeds from the pepper will produce similar size and shape next year ? Thanks !

Attachments

• shapes.jpg
    shapes.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 38
stoney's_ghost said:
Weird. My pods are pretty consistent in size..most of the time.
My C. Reds were the shape and size of yours top row, 3 & 4th, from the left.
If I liked the one next to the quarter and saved the seeds is there a chance that it would produce similar pods ?

So you are saying pods visual appearance provides different DNA material with different (not random) characteristics and the seeds from the pod will inherit the pod characteristics. Completely wrong if someone asks me.

I usually get those larger pods first, then when weather cools off, I get those tiny half done peppers. I'm talking about pods from the same plant. Different plants can have different pods and those you can save and try to selectively breed them further to possibly even enhance the visual appearance you like.

Same here, my first pods are bigger and later, when it gets colder I get smaller pods. If I use seeds from smaller pods, I still get normal size plants and fruits.

Back