• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

disease Various leaf diseases on large chilli plant. Need treatment advice.

I've had this chilli bush for several years, and it has generally been quite healthy. Over the last few months, I've noticed an increasing amount of white spots. At first, I just cut them off, but several other issues have popped up as well. Many sick leaves are now dotted with black spots, too. There is yellow discoloration on a few, and a handful have web-like mildew(?) on them, as well as dead, dried tips. The black/purple on joints is normal.
black spot 2.jpeg
black spots.jpeg
black spots 4.jpeg
black spots 5.jpeg

Attachments

• black spots 3.jpeg
    black spots 3.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I'm no expert on pepper disease but that looks a lot like a fungus to me. Best guess would be sooty mold or powdery mildew.

What's the humidity, heat, and air circulation like?

I'm no expert on pepper disease but that looks a lot like a fungus to me. Best guess would be sooty mold or powdery mildew.

What's the humidity, heat, and air circulation like?
It's currently winter here. so it has been around 8 to 14 degrees celsius, but very rainy. Humidity is low, but the plant gets doused every few days. Air circulation is, as far as I can tell, fine.

It doesn't look or feel like powdery mildew to me. The third image down looks like the white spot is out of focus, but that's how it appears in person, too. It's like its embedded into the leaf.

definitely not typical conditions for fungal infection. Doesn't mean it's not but suggests it may be something else. Sorry, no more ideas :(
Could the plant possibly be under some kind of strain? At one point, it was so heavy with fruit that it was actually bending. I propped it up with half a brick at first, which I hope couldn't have hurt its roots.

Last edited:
I don't see how what you describe could have the result you're seeing. Unless there was something on the brick?

I can't find anything bacterial that looks like that. Unless I'm missing it, there doesn't seem to be any pest damage. With what I'm seeing, in the absence of any other info, if it were mine I would treat it with fungicide.

In the US we have "County Agricultural Extensions" which are related to Universities and have people who really know their stuff - "Master Gardeners". Might want to see if you have something like that and see what they say.

Could the plant possibly be under some kind of strain? At one point, it was so heavy with fruit that it was actually bending. I propped it up with half a brick at first, which I hope couldn't have hurt its roots.
This is a good read for unknown pepper leaf spots. Good luck.
You might try some Bacillus Subtillis or Bacillus amyloliquefaciens.

Back