• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Vegetarian Tostadas

Never met anyone that didn't like this dish. Don't forget the cold beer.

Ingredients:

4 Flour tortillas.
Oil for frying.
1 Can of vegetarian refried beans.
2 Cups shredded lettuce.
2 Cups of Pico di Gallo. Or whatever salsa you like.
1 Chopped onion.
2 Sliced avocados.
1 Lime.
4 Finely chopped Habaneros. More or less depending on your taste.
1 Half cup of chopped cilantro.

Directions:

Warm refried beans. Fry tortillas flipping once until puffed brown on both sides. Place each on a warm plate. Spread beans on each tortilla. After that, spread in order,Lettuce, pico di gallo, onion, avacado, habanero and cilantro. Squeeze a lime over top. Serve.

Makes 4 servings.

152.jpg

157.jpg

158.jpg

159.jpg

Next time I cook this, I'll be sure to add pics. I could find a stock pic, but the admin didn't like it the last time I did that. So no pic at this time. :rolleyes:

I'm not the only one. You'd get boos from the crowd for a stock pic. :)

Why not corn tortillas? I guess you like the way flour ones separate and poof up.

thehotpepper.com said:
Why not corn tortillas? I guess you like the way flour ones separate and poof up.

Yes! I personally like corn ones a lot, but when I make this for others, they seem to like the flour ones. Probably familiarity or something.

Corn tortillas make the best tacos. Navajo flat bread are a close second.

Well there is your pics. Made this for lunch. I had about 7 pics, but you only allow 4. Hope it shows enough.

Def. a WIN!!

It haz da Chilehead MacGyver seal of drunken approval. :D

3 outa 5 here.

-1pt for lack of superhots, but no worries ;P
-1pt cus any mexi needs cumin and/or mexican oregano, and prolly garlic.

;)

EDIT: I'm giving a pt back for having Pete's Wikked Ale involved...wrong bottle tho..it shoud be larger and blacker...

QuadShotz said:
Def. a WIN!!

EDIT: I'm giving a pt back for having Pete's Wikked Ale involved...wrong bottle tho..it shoud be larger and blacker...

The rest of the six pack is in the fridge with the Guiness. I like my beer cold.

How about a point for attempting to show the THP site on the Blackberry?

To damn small to read it. But I tried.

Now if a fella was to make something like this at home would it be OK to add some shredded chicken and a wedge or two of cheese?

Of course! and I'd squeeze a lime over it too for that fresh, acidic balance.

I used to make it with ground beef. Seasoned with cumin,garlic, and plenty of dried chilis. This is just a different way to go. Always looking for a way to add more vegies to my diet.

Put anything on it that suits you. That is what cooking for ones self is all about.

Back