• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

vermiculite

I am looking for some input as far as opinions/experiences with using vermiculite growing peppers. I am thinking about using it as opposed to perlite. I know they both do pretty much the same thing, but I can get 4 cubic ft of vermiculite for $10 as opposed to the higher cost of perlite.

Let me know what ya think.

From what I have read in other, similar posts, vermiculite compacts/degrades faster than perlite, turface, or pumice. Vermiculite can be used in conjunction with the ladder to add drainage, moisture control, and nutrient stores, but I would avoid replacing the perlite, especially if the vermiculite you have access to is as fine as what I just bought (sand basically).

-Phil

From what I have read in other, similar posts, vermiculite compacts/degrades faster than perlite, turface, or pumice. Vermiculite can be used in conjunction with the ladder to add drainage, moisture control, and nutrient stores, but I would avoid replacing the perlite, especially if the vermiculite you have access to is as fine as what I just bought (sand basically).

-Phil

They stuff I can get is slightly larger than perlite, I believe they call it course #4

Perlite is hard, doesn't absorb water, it aids drainage and air.
Vermiculite is soft, spongy, holds water and compacts/breaks up, not that good for drainage.

That's as far as I know, they don't do the same job.

Perlite is hard, doesn't absorb water, it aids drainage and air.
Vermiculite is soft, spongy, holds water and compacts/breaks up, not that good for drainage.

That's as far as I know, they don't do the same job.

Perlite does absorb a certain amount of water, it actually peforms a cort of capillary action to absorb and release water.

http://www.schundler.com/stormwater.htm

i put vermiculite in my garden one year and it caked together and seemed to merge with the clay elements making a hard surface level. i was attempting to do the exact opposite, break down the soil and make it more aerated. upps! i would stick with perlite.

I am looking for some input as far as opinions/experiences with using vermiculite growing peppers. I am thinking about using it as opposed to perlite. I know they both do pretty much the same thing, but I can get 4 cubic ft of vermiculite for $10 as opposed to the higher cost of perlite.

Let me know what ya think.

In a potting mix, or in a garden bed/ground?

If the former, then I'd be adding both rather than looking to replace as they both have contrasting functionalities.

Perlite does absorb a certain amount of water, it actually peforms a cort of capillary action to absorb and release water.

http://www.schundler.com/stormwater.htm

I have learned of this on a YouTube gardening video back a while ago. I’ve watched so many of them now that there is no chance I would be able to find it.

In a potting mix, or in a garden bed/ground?

If the former, then I'd be adding both rather than looking to replace as they both have contrasting functionalities.

It will in a raised garden bed composed of peat moss, compost and either vermiculite or perlite. The beds will be completly accessible from all sides so walking on it will not be necessary. I have seen beds that use one or the other and have done excellent growing tomatoes and root crops, but never peppers.

I noticed that the pots with only vermiculite tend to drain more slowly and the plants look water logged for a bit after watering. The rest of the pots also have some perlite and they have no issues. Vermiculite does seem to compact somewhat over time.

Back