• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Very Basic Question

5 times bigger?

Did you happen to document that huge size differential with a photograph?

I am trying to imagine a hab 5 times bigger than my "porch hab", it would be a small tree.

To the original poster: A compromise solution.

Find a spot on a certain side of your home that gets either 2 or 3 hours of morning sunlight, or 2 or 3 hours late afternoon/early evening sun.

Then come late september move them to an area that gets full sun.

This way you can have your cake, and eat it too. And have bigger plants with more pods.

To the original poster: A compromise solution.

Find a spot on a certain side of your home that gets either 2 or 3 hours of morning sunlight, or 2 or 3 hours late afternoon/early evening sun.

Then come late september move them to an area that gets full sun.

This way you can have your cake, and eat it too. And have bigger plants with more pods.

My porch gets 2 hours of sun in the early morning.

I guess I can "have and eat my cake" right now.

The question was direct sun, which we seem to have gotten away from with the answers I have seen so far.

My porch gets 2 hours of sun in the early morning.

I guess I can "have and eat my cake" right now.

The question was direct sun, which we seem to have gotten away from with the answers I have seen so far.

Ahh, didn't see that part mentioned earlier, that's a different story altogether.

To be honest, from what i've read from Arizona growers, it sounds like you are doing it "the right way" already, or at least one of the right ways. They always seem to mention that their tomato and pepper plants melt and suffer in full afternoon sun.

But remember this is second hand info coming from a lifelong NJ resident (wink) and hopefully those in similar climates will chime in with their experience./

Ahh, didn't see that part mentioned earlier, that's a different story altogether.

To be honest, from what i've read from Arizona growers, it sounds like you are doing it "the right way" already. They always seem to mention that their tomato and pepper plants melt and suffer in full afternoon sun. At the very least you would get quite a few flowers dropping.

But remember this is second hand info coming from a lifelong NJ resident (wink)

The weather here is amazing, 83 degrees overnight and over 100 during the day.

I have seen many plants "melt" down here and that is first hand observation.

Thanks to everybody for their contribution, interesting to hear different opinions.

Today marked the 26th day of straight triple digit heat, 32 days in total so far this year. I had to move all of my plants into 100% indirect sunlight due to the heavy heat and strong uv from the sun. Let me note that everyone of my plants had already been outside for over a month getting 4-5 hours of direct sunlight each day and that made no difference at all. They started to get sun scald and started to look pretty bad. Once I moved them into indirect sunlight they started to really blow up with new growth and have been going strong for weeks in the indirect light. As long as I can keep them alive through the crazy summer I'll get a nice harvest towards the end of the year. My plants started to flower as the heat started to kick into high gear and now they have just stopped completely. Just play around and see what works best for you...

-J

Today marked the 26th day of straight triple digit heat, 32 days in total so far this year. I had to move all of my plants into 100% indirect sunlight due to the heavy heat and strong uv from the sun. Let me note that everyone of my plants had already been outside for over a month getting 4-5 hours of direct sunlight each day and that made no difference at all. They started to get sun scald and started to look pretty bad. Once I moved them into indirect sunlight they started to really blow up with new growth and have been going strong for weeks in the indirect light. As long as I can keep them alive through the crazy summer I'll get a nice harvest towards the end of the year. My plants started to flower as the heat started to kick into high gear and now they have just stopped completely. Just play around and see what works best for you...

-J

My thoughts are that the 100 plus temps are good for my plants, they look great. It is the direct sun that gets my plants down.

The weather here is amazing, 83 degrees overnight and over 100 during the day.

I have seen many plants "melt" down here and that is first hand observation.

Thanks to everybody for their contribution, interesting to hear different opinions.

We have about the same weather where I am from with it being about 100 during the day and around 80 at night. I have my plants on the east side of the house and they get sun from sun up until about 1:30 and they only wilt every 3rd day. But they have been there since the middle of march so they adjusted tot he sun and heat. I do have a few plants on the porch that are not quite as big, and some that get sun all day from sun up to sun down and those plants have done terrible.

I don't think you are going to have much luck getting them used to the high temps during the day.

We have about the same weather where I am from with it being about 100 during the day and around 80 at night. I have my plants on the east side of the house and they get sun from sun up until about 1:30 and they only wilt every 3rd day. But they have been there since the middle of march so they adjusted tot he sun and heat. I do have a few plants on the porch that are not quite as big, and some that get sun all day from sun up to sun down and those plants have done terrible.

I don't think you are going to have much luck getting them used to the high temps during the day.

I have several direct light plants, but I have found that once you move them out of the sun it is hard to get them to readjust to the sun.

So I agree with your observation.

m8g4bkr656Wtt8a785BIxjVo7.gif

I've found that once the plants are hardened off, especially with the narrower and hardier foliage the plant starts to grow when brought outside, then it can withstand extremely hot temperatures in direct sunlight. However, I've also noticed considerable flower drop in these hot temperatures. Manzanos and Rocotos are especially susceptible. By moving them to a shady area the flower drop then stops.

I've tried two major planting locations:

-Last year, in a garden located on the west side of the house; full afternoon sun starting around 2 or 3 PM
-This year, in pots on my porch receiving full morning sun until about noon or 1:00 PM

By far, my best growing plants have been on the porch. Easier to examine, fertilize, monitor, etc. They've been losing buds and flowers lately because of the heat (a few days of 90+ recently and it's climbing back up there), but I can only imagine how bad the abortion rate would be if the plants were in the garden. Last year, many plants were wilting and getting stunted by the time summer came along in the afternoon heat and sun, despite being raised in a greenhouse and having all of spring to get used to the climate. Nothing like this happened this year; some pots near the south side of the porch just require watering more frequently as they get a bit more sun and dry out quicker.

I'm pretty sure full morning sun is the way to go where I am. The plants seem to love it. If I grew peppers in a garden again, it's highly likely it would be somewhere on the south or east side of a building, where they can get hours of light but some protection around 2-5 PM. There's really only one place I could put a garden at this house anyway, so I didn't really have a choice.

All of my potted plants are going wild with peppers, much better than anything in the ground last year, but I think this is partially because I pinched off the first bunch of buds to cause the plants to focus more on growth until around June 10 (or maybe June 20 for some). Still though, the plants have been handling the weather with no problem so that alone is a major step up IMO. Direct afternoon light just seems too hot IMO, I've even had a sunscalded pepper last year.

Well, just to weigh in on this some more, I set a few of my plants out in the sun today just as an experiment... almost immediately, pods started ripening on the plants I set out in the sun, but not on the same varieties still in the shade... whatever process goes into ripening pods obviously operates at minimal efficiency out of direct sunlight.

Back