• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Very bitter tasting Aji Habanero

Its my first time growing this pepper, and I must have at least 200 peppers across my 4 plants. Unfortunately, 1 out of every 2 peppers is completely inedible due to a very strong bitter taste. They arent quite ripe yet (waxy yellow with browning tips)

Has anyone experienced this before? Im hoping that the bitterness goes away when they finally ripen, since this is my most prolific pepper!

Just tried one of mine was excellent but completely ripe but I love habs. Hopefully that won't be an issue when fully ripened. I know my cukes are bitter if picked to early but sweet when just green may be experiencing the same thing.

I havent had that problem with mine in regards to taste.  My soil is amended with rabbit poop and I give a blooming agent.

I am saying it may be what you're feeding them or something in soil?  But that would be my best guess.

I have grown Aji Habanero (not the same as the Chinense version of Habanero that you may be referring to, old salty) many years in a row. I would agree that they are much better when fully ripe, so would encourage you to wait until they turn their fully-ripe yellow-orange color before deciding if you like them or not. These chiles remind me very much of oranges (which I am now allergic to), so I absolutely love their flavor. But yes, there might be something about your particular makeup that makes you not like them.

Edit: And another thought, in case there is confusion on your side, if they don't look much like the ones in the pic on this site, they're not Aji Habaneros. Note that the orange in that pic is more pronounced than any that ever grew for me - I don't know that they would get that orange.

geeme said:
Edit: And another thought, in case there is confusion on your side, if they don't look much like the ones in the pic on this site, they're not Aji Habaneros. Note that the orange in that pic is more pronounced than any that ever grew for me - I don't know that they would get that orange.

Thanks for that pic link, I am still waiting for mine to get ripe, first year growing also.  Those do look remarkably orange in that pic, as you said I doubt mine will get that orange.  I do know my plant is huge and I will easily have a couple pounds or more by end of summer.  My freezer is gonna be bursting this year!

Buzzman19 said:
I havent had that problem with mine in regards to taste.  My soil is amended with rabbit poop and I give a blooming agent.

I am saying it may be what you're feeding them or something in soil?  But that would be my best guess.
I prefer the flavor of squirrel poop myself.   :)

SavinaRed said:
I prefer the flavor of squirrel poop myself.   :)

The squirrels in my backyard have all feasted upon my poor sunflowers, that should be some very rich squirrel poop! 

If I weren't living in residential neighborhood I would be feasting upon there little bones.  lol

I am very impressed with the results of Rabbit poop, if you have access to it that is! 

Buzzman19 said:
The squirrels in my backyard have all feasted upon my poor sunflowers, that should be some very rich squirrel poop! 

If I weren't living in residential neighborhood I would be feasting upon there little bones.  lol

I am very impressed with the results of Rabbit poop, if you have access to it that is!
Buzzman19 said:

no access to animal poop and I was just kidding about the squirrel poop lol

geeme said:

Thanks all for your opinions! here is a pic of my unripe aji habanero plant:
20150727_174343_zpsltguuexi.jpg

Finally these are ripening to a nice orange colour. They taste much sweeter when ripe. I'm still on the fence about this variety though; while the flavour has improved, I find the walls of the pepper to be a little too thin and tough for my taste.

Back