• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Vincent 2011 season

I originally planned to start in December but I couldn't wait any longer so I decided to start :)
Yesterday all seeds were put in a 2% solution of Potassium Nitrate.

growlog-2011-001.jpg

These are the varieties for this season

Capsicum Annuum:
3x Broome Chile
3x Aji de Gorrita

Capsicum Baccatum:
3x Aji Escabeche
3x Dedo de Moça Amarela
3x Pimenta Barro Do Ribeiro

Capsicum Chacoense:
4x CAP 212

Capsicum Chinense:
4x 7 Pod Bugundy
4x 7 Pod White
4x 7 Pod Douglah Billyboy
4x 7 Pod Brain Strain (PRF)
4x 7 Pod Yellow Original Strain
4x Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon
4x Bhut Jolokia Yellow
4x Bombay Morich
4x Cheiro de Goiás
4x Cheiro Pêssego
4x Fatalii White
3x Habanero Mustard
4x Infinity (Ian)
4x Infinity (Woody)
4x Mulo de Tiro
3x Piãozinho
4x Trinidad Scopion Butch
4x Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate
4x Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise
4x Trinidad Scorpion FG mustard
4x Trinidad Scorpion Yellow SR
4x Yucatan White

Capsicum Frutescens:
4x Aji Cuerno de Cabra
4x Aji Chay
4x Aji Guaguao
3x Lotah Bih

Capsicum Praetermissum:
3x CGN 20805

Capsicum Pubescens:
3x CAP 1694
3x Rocoto Canario

Capsicum species:
3x Pimenta Café
3x Coração de Boi
3x Redonda para Vaso

Crosses:
3x 7 pod Douglah x Trinidad Scorpion Morouga
3x Vladan's Beauty

As you see the chinense are still the biggest group but this season I want a bit more variation.

Trays filled with potting soil, perlite, vermicompost mix (85/10/5)
growlog-2011-002.jpg

1 seed per cell
growlog-2011-003.jpg

seeds covered
growlog-2011-004.jpg

under lights
growlog-2011-005.jpg

Nice setup. Looks really organized too. Organization is not a strength of mine.
I know what you mean about not waiting to start the new season. I'm anxious to get growing too.
Have you used the potassium nitrate before? If so, does it make a noticeable difference for you?
Happy gardening!
T

Nice setup. Looks really organized too. Organization is not a strength of mine.
I know what you mean about not waiting to start the new season. I'm anxious to get growing too.
Have you used the potassium nitrate before? If so, does it make a noticeable difference for you?
Happy gardening!
T

Yes I used the potassium nitrate last year. I used it because a year earlier in my first season I had some problems. Some varieties just wouldn't germinate and I got the advice to try salpeter (potassium nitrate). Last year with the solution my germination rate was 96%. It also speeds up the germination (at least for me it does) with 2-6 days depending on variety.

nice looking setup, i'm doing something similar but i'm gonna wait a little longer. when do you take yours outdoors? how long do you think they'll live in those containers before they need to be potted up?

nice looking setup, i'm doing something similar but i'm gonna wait a little longer. when do you take yours outdoors? how long do you think they'll live in those containers before they need to be potted up?

Our last frost date is May 15th. The seedlings will be in the trays for several weeks.

Wow what a list, nice set up!

thanks

I think I have those trays as well. They are so brittle. I break or snap pieces off them every time I handle them.

I have no problems with these trays

germination report

26 November
1x Bhut Jolokia Yellow
1x Broome Chile
3x Aji de Gorrita
1x Pimenta Barro do Ribeiro
2x Vladan's Beauty
2x Coração de Boi
1x Lotah Bih

27 November
2x Dedo de Moca Amarela
1x Pimenta Barro do Ribeiro
1x Trinidad Scorpion ButchT
1x Yacatan White
1x Rocoto Canario
1x Vladan’s Beauty

Looks like a very good set up Vincent, Bravo :clap:

This is exactly the info I need right now as my germination rates have been just over 50%. After digging into the empty cells I usually find hard unchanged seeds. I will definitely have to try potassium nitrate next season.

Do you heat the trays from the lights only or is there something underneath them. Those two things under the seed trays look like empty plastic tubs as far as I can see, or are they heating?

edit: are Capsicum Chacoense and Capsicum Praetermissum wild chillies varieties? I haven't heard of them before.

Looks like a very good set up Vincent, Bravo :clap:

This is exactly the info I need right now as my germination rates have been just over 50%. After digging into the empty cells I usually find hard unchanged seeds. I will definitely have to try potassium nitrate next season.

Do you heat the trays from the lights only or is there something underneath them. Those two things under the seed trays look like empty plastic tubs as far as I can see, or are they heating?

edit: are Capsicum Chacoense and Capsicum Praetermissum wild chillies varieties? I haven't heard of them before.

Trays are not heated. The grow room is kept at a minimum of 20-22 degrees Celsius. I keep rodents in the same room and some (african pygmy mice for example) die if the temp gets below 19 degrees. With this room temperature I don't need extra heating.

Yes Capsicum Chacoense and Capsicum Praetermissum are wild varieties. (i have some for trade http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/18552-my-new-trade-list )

Today's score

3x 7 Pod Brain Strain (PRF)
1x Infinity (Ian)
2x Lotah Bih
1x CAP 1694
1x Cheiro Pessego
1x Fatalii White

Lotah Bih is a variety I bought from Semillas. I don't know what to expect from it

Infinity I got from Fire Foods in England and is one of the hottest peppers in the world tested at 1,257,468 scoville units

Very impressive organization you have going there Vincent.

What size pots will you be growing most of your pepper plants in next year?

And I have been admiring that diabolical looking pepper in your avatar...what type is that one?

Best of luck with the rest of your germination attempts!

dvg

Very impressive organization you have going there Vincent.

What size pots will you be growing most of your pepper plants in next year?

And I have been admiring that diabolical looking pepper in your avatar...what type is that one?

Best of luck with the rest of your germination attempts!

dvg

Thanks. Most will be in 10 liter pots
my avatar is a 7 Pod Primo Strain

Good luck going forward!

thanks

bravo!:clap: nice setup vincent! how i wish i can grow plants as organized as you are.:D

how many plants can you keep in your balcony?

goodluck on your 2011 season

btw, nice tray color. :)

Back