• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Virgil's Small Scale Glog

Finally, after getting the greenhouse built, I'm able to start one of these :P I have been dying to get things growing but wanted all my ducks in a row. Anyway, in the ensuing pages you will find details on my plants and what I did to get them to where they are going to be (either awesome or dead, we will see!).

This is my first true attempt at growing anything. My girlfriend had flowers, herbs, squash and a bell pepper plant on the deck. One day months back I was curious to see if I had a green thumb or if I was a plant killer, so I started trying to take care of things. There was much suffering. After research, trial and error, I was able to get things to grow a bit but the bugs (aphids and whiteflies) thwarted me. I'm not dealing with that BS for my peppers so I bought all new unused stuff, built this enclosure and the plants on the deck will never see the indoors so as to avoid those stupid bugs coming with them.

Greenhouse: A lot of work making it perfect but a lot of fun, too.
68e0774d82fea8c3a3554f1396c45900.jpg

Timer: I have the lights come on at 7AM and turn off at 8PM. Also have the fan doing the same thing so there is a reprieve. I may change the fans to be continuous, though.
e8ceff731494f13a0e4aa8b71c977f67.jpg

Baby plants!!!!!
8743aee1b66b1ce127077acd303eddd2.jpg

All the seeds I planted germinated. From left to right: Peruvian white hab, Pequin peppers, Brown Moruga. For some reason, two of the pequin seeds are taking a lot longer to sprout. They have the white tendrils sticking out but haven't come as far as the others. Maybe they won't make it. You also may have noticed that there is a 4th cup above but only 3 in this pic. Well, the other was supposed to be Serrano, but they never sprouted or anything. So I went to the grocery store and found the nicest serranos I could find, harvested their seeds and planted like 15 of them. Being from a grocery store, I'm not hopeful on germination rate. But we will see!

Couple things- I used the clear cups because I wanted to be able to see when they were really rootbound. I cut 4 slits in the bottom of each cup and a hole in the middle bottom of each cup for drainage. Second, the dirt is just miraclegro seed starting potting mix. I bought good stuff for the transplanting :)

Feel free to comment or give tips. I'm a n00b at growing things and fully believe in learning from others' input. Similarly, it is my hope that other n00bs will see this and find it useful in their little grow!

And finally, I have ripe aji pineapple! Only about 3 ripe pods, but I'm extremely excited! I just ate this one and it was A LOT hotter than the last time I ate aji pineapples. The plant IS in with a brown moruga, not sure if it picked up some heat from being cross-pollinated, if it's possible to see that without having to plant the seeds and grow them?

5e57ce4aa56c12acaecaf0684b279be5.jpg

nice pod ... is Aji Pineapple related with Aji Lemon drop?? it kinda looks loke it's cousin

the heat always depends on bunch of things, including the watering patterns, weather, ripeness...
but the crosspollination will be seen next season if it happened

Thanks! I have read conflicting reports on it; some say they're the same while others say they're two distinct strains. I wouldn't doubt they're related, though. It definitely had a light pineapple flavor to it before the pain started. 

All the plants are in a very good environment (indoor greenhouse, no crazy temperature fluctuations) and get regular watering, so that probably helped make it really hot!

Met Ed Currie of puckerbutt today at a local festival. He's a really nice guy! Talked for a little while and found out my brown moruga Scorpions are probably mixed with something else as they never were brown. Not a big deal, they're still good, but darn! There are several more pods growing on the plant, all have the same shape but they go from green to red/orange. On another note, the aji pineapple is really setting a ton of pods; a few more and I'll be making a sweet and spicy labneh cheese with them :D

After eating some of these scorpions I have growing, I think they got crossed with a primo; they had a very similar flavor and color. Very delicious, but not what I was going for. Either way, can't wait for this thing to push more pods out!

Been a little while since I posted, but I have made some really great progress! First off, I had a terrible aphid problem on my deck that had infested EVERYTHING, including the bullet habs, the peruvian habs and the ghost pepper. I had to get rid of all my flowers and put all the plants through a very aggressive neem oil/dawn and DE regimen. Basically Every 4-5 days I sprayed the plants down with the neem and soap, then used an extremely generous serving of DE on everything, including the dirt and porch and everything repeatedly. I also spent a good chunk of time smooshing aphids off all the pepper plant leaves by hand and then spraying them down in the evening with some soapy water. The pests haven't been back for the past two weeks! I have not had to treat any of the plants with anything and so far, so good. Plus, they seem to be thriving. Been getting lots of pods off the peruvian white. I ended up moving the pequin outside as it got HUGE and was growing out of the top of the greenhouse. Anyway, pics are below!

985311c948de53f097c32bad4b55e756.jpg

be21cfd7f533c3e63a593f08102f7f11.jpg

54afa0113991913b3e8d62c995f6836e.jpg

8ef7ff287f92ba27151907f1ff64ecf2.jpg

The Scorpion and the Aji Pineapple are still indoors, and I started some Serrano and some Sus Biberi :D 

Back