• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Vodka infused with pepper

Hmmm. I'm thinking maybe this might be too hot to even take a half shot...or will it be ok? I am going to leave the pepper in there for maximum flavor and aroma. Its a 750ml bottle of vodka with a Raja Mirch - I guess its a bhut by another name. De-seeded but veins still there.

If I leave it for like 6 months, how hot would this be in all that vodka?

madness1.jpg

madness2.jpg

Should be pretty hot but still drinkable. You will know when it's ready because the wodka will leech all the colour from the pod.

No actually I heard drinking alcohol after eating hot peppers would actually cure the hotness so maybe it's good tasting! But don't take my word for it =oO it'a an old wives tale I remember my grandmother telling me =oD

Capsaicin can be dissolved by alcohol so there may be some truth to that. You would have to swirl it around your mouth and spit it out though! What a waste!

I have done this many times and you should know that if you leave the peppers beyond about the two week mark you will start getting unfavorable flavors. It will be hot at two weeks and have an awesome pepper flavor but it will get bitter if you leave it beyond that.

Check out my post about it. I also started adding about a tablespoon of honey. It smoothes out the flavor.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/24300-pepper-infused-vodka/page__p__494780__hl__%2Bpepper+%2Binfused+%2Bvodka__fromsearch__1#entry494780

I was always under the impression that the bitter flavor is due to seeds no?

I have done this many times and you should know that if you leave the peppers beyond about the two week mark you will start getting unfavorable flavors. It will be hot at two weeks and have an awesome pepper flavor but it will get bitter if you leave it beyond that.

Check out my post about it. I also started adding about a tablespoon of honey. It smoothes out the flavor.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/24300-pepper-infused-vodka/page__p__494780__hl__%2Bpepper+%2Binfused+%2Bvodka__fromsearch__1#entry494780

I put some frozen then thawed bhuts in a 40oz of vodka..came out great..bhuts lost some color but the heat was there for the Caesars..good luck!!

I was always under the impression that the bitter flavor is due to seeds no?
From my experience, no. I did not deseed any of my batches, but I have determined that after about the two week mark the unfavorable flavors started coming on, and I got the recommendation from a THP member to add the honey. By pulling the peppers out sooner and adding the honey the turnout has improved dramatically.

No actually I heard drinking alcohol after eating hot peppers would actually cure the hotness so maybe it's good tasting! But don't take my word for it =oO it'a an old wives tale I remember my grandmother telling me =oD

Nope. I put 5 bhut jolokias in my rum and it's hot. It also took on the flavor of the bhuts :) .

http://www.thehotpep...__1#entry494780

Mines been in a big jug of rum for months. Taste great to me. 5 dried bhuts with seeds as well.

I know you asked about vodka, "bhut".... ;-)
Wwhile i haven't gone the liquor route- i have taken a filled growler and added a pepper or 2.
IMExperience, i've only needed to leave the pepper in there for several days before getting easily noticeable heat & the source pepper flavor. It's neat to leave the pepper in for folks to see before a first taste but then it's also nice to not have the easily visible " Warning Label " of a pepper floating around inside.
I'll tell people (or not) & they'll look at the growler filled with otherwise normal looking beer and say:" WTH!?!?, i'll try it!"
I've done some naga vipers with mostly "hoppy" craft brews. Then again, i also pulled a growler of coor's light to pepper up and it was pretty damned refreshing as well as sweat provoking lol
Good luck with it

Putting High heat peppers in Vodka seems counterproductive to me.... Vodka is best served around freezing IE (32 F) or (0 C) and Cap in my experience loses potency at that temperature. I'll stick with being really cruel and sneaky. I dropped a Naga Morich in a bottle Jack and let me tell you it made for one HELL of a unique shooter and Jack and Coke.

.... I'll stick with being really cruel and sneaky. I dropped a Naga Morich in a bottle Jack and let me tell you it made for one HELL of a unique shooter and Jack and Coke.
lol.....
Drinking Jack shooters gives me the heebie jeebies enough, but now i'm trying to imagine the extra burn from the naga! Again: Lol!!!

Back