• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

WAL-MART.....seriously.

Pam said:
Yabut, things aren't that simple, are they?
I find it is. I buy my beer at the local store, I purchase hot shops at a locally owned store, purchase my soil and pots at a hydropenics store (which takes me 1/2 hour to get there), get my brewing suplies at a local place. I may have to drive a half an hour and spend a little bit more, but I know my money is going to suport local business and not a place like Walmart who is specifically out there to run the locals out of business and has crappy products.

Wild Man Matt said:
I am kinda confused by this walmart-love. But I suppose a can of soup is a can of soup.

It's not love at all actually, but sometimes financial constraints make it a neccessary evil.

I rarely shop at Wal-Mart - they just built a supercenter on a road I go past twice a week. Same thing as other chain stores, including a lot or restaurants. Micky D doesn't exactly keep their money local or pay high wages but I know all kinds of people who claim they won't shop at Wally World but munch on Big Macs all the time.

However, a couple of times I did buy from Wal-Mart. Last year when I was first growing peppers, I read here how a cheap shop light from WM would work for my plants. Well, I tried to buy from our local hardware stores but they all wanted $30-55 for the lights; WM had them for $15. The only difference I could find was the size of the reflector.

As for low paying jobs, WM seems to pay what the other supermarkets and department stores (Kroger's, which is unionized, excepted) pay.

Mike

I shop at Walmart for some of the reasons already mentioned but one more important factor keeps me going back. They have the riding carts that actually work...I'm no longer able to walk to shop a big place like Walmart so they provide carts for those unable to walk the distance. Maybe that's a crazy reason but it keeps me as a steady customer. the closest Walmart is 30 miles away so this is not every day that we go there, maybe once a month or so. Our Walmart does have habaneros and several other hot peppers on a fairly regular basis but the area also has a large Mexican population.

Not crazy at all Jackie, that is the best reason I have ever heard.

We have the gargantuan mega Wallies here, but they have no deli, just a pre-packaged cold cuts area, and no butcher area. All of the meat is already in celophane and individually packaged.

This past weekend at Krogers, we bought a huge untrimmed pork loin for like $11, and had the butchers cut it into 3/4 inch steaks. We got 20 or so thin chops.

We fried up 8 or so tonight. Awesome value for the meat and the free cutting service.

On the flip side, the Kroger in the next county (2 counties out from Louisville) the Krogers there looks clean, but otherwise lacking. The deli is 1/16th of the size of the one near us, and the same for the butcher counter. But even that beats the heck out of the mega wallies that have neither.

our local super walmart hired a young lady that is legally blind. She rides a horse/pony to and from work which is about 2 miles each way. They (walmart) have made a corral for her horse. Her horse is kinda like a seeing eye dog. At least they treat this young lady good.

AlabamaJack said:
our local super walmart hired a young lady that is legally blind. She rides a horse/pony to and from work which is about 2 miles each way. They (walmart) have made a corral for her horse. Her horse is kinda like a seeing eye dog. At least they treat this young lady good.

I can top this :lol:
the walmart greeter I go to has no arms, her hands are attached to her shoulders.
couple years ago I saw another kid the same way up here, hands attached to the shoulders.

1 of my cousins works at a lingerie store & a 2 head lady asked for some help, then the 2 heads started arguing with each other :shocked:

I'm NOT making any of this up!! & NO I'm NOT making fun of them, just that its strange! must be something in the water up here.

Canuk Pepperhead said:
Thats it im going to Cornwall and checking out what WalMart has to offer tomorow
NOOOO!!!! DON'T DO IT!!!!! WE THE LITTLE GUYS NEED YOUR MONEY!!!! SAVE USSS!!!!!

: grabs a hold of Canuk's shirt :

: plants feet firmly on the ground :

WALMART KILLS PUPPIES!!!! WALMART KILLS PUPPIES!!!!

And the funnier thing is, all the local grocery stores here are doing very well in the shadow of Walmart....Publix and Sweetbays seem to like being number 2 and 3, and most people i know make those their first choice when it comes to shopping. Oh, and both Publix and Sweetbay also carry stupid junk made in china crap too...like rafts and cheap coolers and grills, etc. for the summer. Walmart may have started the trend of maintaining a massive profit margin at all costs, but almost all the other retailers out there have followed suit.

Small, local business would not be able to handle the volume of sales if everyone switched to using them. Their suppliers would run out and they'd end up using the same cheap suppliers walmart uses.

I like the options we have now - you can go to a "boutique" little local shop, support your local guy and generally get a high quality product when you want but you still have the option to be frugal and get cheap sh*t at walmart. Umm... go capitalism!

I'm a small local business...

lostmind said:
Small, local business would not be able to handle the volume of sales if everyone switched to using them. Their suppliers would run out and they'd end up using the same cheap suppliers walmart uses.
That's totally BS. It's just like saying Americans don't want to do the jobs that the illegal Mexican immigrents are getting. Who do you think was getting and supplying Americans with products before Walmart? The little guys! They would EASLY handle the volume of sales because they already HAVE in the past!

Back