• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Walchit's Glog 2018

Well started germination yesterday, got a little carried away.

I'm too lazy to type out my list for you guys so here are some pics.

Sprouting these from Justin/whitehotpeppers

And these from the auction of labeled pods from Garth/texashotpeppers

Then there are these from trades and seed trains

I may have officially lost my mind! Thanks for stopping by.

That's one of my objectives! I should probably grow more tomatoes and cucumbers (stuff normal people buy) but I've got this idea that peppers will work out for me. I will have a bunch of powder and sauce if nothing elae

Here's a couple tomatoes.

KIMG1440.JPG

And a schwartzbeeren, my great grandma pronounced it swats-a-berra or something like that lol.

KIMG1441.JPG

Hey, Andy!!!

You've got things growing very nicely. And those purps...beauties! Do you have F2 or F3 of the Cinder? If it's F2, we must've traded early in the season. I still have a clone from the caramel plant I had last year and it just set a pod. Lol. But I look forward to seeing your progress and I hope you have a fruitful season. Great stuff!

Looked up the average last frost, it's April 16th. But we have had frost 10 out of the last 12 nights. I would like to have them in by the first week of may or I will have to wait till the end of May. I'm about to start working on a design for this garden. Gonna make a new raised bed from some scrap lumber I have laying around. Will use it for carrots and cabbage, maybe dill and basil will go in there.

Speaking from experience in these parts, later is better. If you put them in dirt around here in the first part of May, we will continue getting nights in the 40s and may get lots of rain, so they will sit and shiver and not grow. They may be permanently stunted.

I always wait until after Mother's day, when the soil temp is above 50 F., and nighttime temperatures are reliably above 55 F.

If you use raised beds and row covers, you can start earlier, but you have to be around every morning to take the row covers off so you don't cook your plants.

Good information on the soil temp recommendation, that's what I go by. For the same reason, they do just sit and not grow, AND all this hurts their performance. Been there done that :shh: :rolleyes:

Irrigation is a good/tough question. I have wobblers on a timer I can use; but the well water sucks Ph wise. I use this method when I leave town to keep them alive. I've used bubblers to flood trenches. Same thing, bad well water, AND we got a nice crop of nut grass. They like to spread a root system and multiply at a 6-9" depth. Talk about work digging each "nut" out using a pitchfork, none since I did that ;)

I currently just hand water the plants at this point, using collected rain water, which I did today. A half gallon per plant in the dish I created when I planted. It took me 1.5 hours. Which is fine, beats staring at the PC screen like I do at work all day..LOL. I'd love to use drip; maybe with the rain water in the future....

Walchit said:
Some look good, some aren't doing as well as I would like. I'm definitely ready to see what this garden tuns out like. I'm having a hard time deciding what to do about irrigation. There are so many options
It's the name of the game buddy. Some do good and others, not so much. My wife cringes every time I pull a seedling out lol. She goes, awww poor little baby! Survival of the fittest homie haha. I still don't have my irrigation figured out either. High of 92 today too! Way too hot for my liking. All I have in dirt so far is corn, onions and garlic. All doing well but having to water twice a day! That's crazy for april here. I planned on getting shade cloth but not this soon in the season. I'm gonna need to figure out a better irrigation soon so if you come up with any good (and cheap) methods soon I'm all ears.

There are definitely some ones I'm proud to call my own! I'm starting to think the 4100k bulbs in the t5 might be slowing that side down, or maybe they got one less round of nutes when I didn't have them on the same schedule.

I bought 7 broken 90 watt ufo LEDs off of Craigslist for 20 bucks, idk why lol. Tore one apart tonight, was hoping there was a fuse or something that was blown but I couldn't get that lucky. I will have to see if there is any salvageable Chinese technology in them after some internet research.

KIMG1448.JPG
KIMG1450.JPG

Did I post this schwartzbeeren pic already? If so my bad look at it again lol

KIMG1441.JPG

Back