• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Walchit's Glog 2018

Well started germination yesterday, got a little carried away.

I'm too lazy to type out my list for you guys so here are some pics.

Sprouting these from Justin/whitehotpeppers

And these from the auction of labeled pods from Garth/texashotpeppers

Then there are these from trades and seed trains

I may have officially lost my mind! Thanks for stopping by.

And the winner is...

Tobago seasoning. From seeds saved from a Texas hot peppers pod. At least I know I saved the seed correctly at this point.

Attachments

• KIMG1030.JPG
    KIMG1030.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 52
Peat, I'm pretty sure. I didn't know they made coir pellets. These just came from Walmart. They were still in a box up on the shelf. I thought they were the little green houses you use your own soil in, but since I had the guy get them down for me I went ahead and bought them.

Walchit said:
Peat, I'm pretty sure. I didn't know they made coir pellets. These just came from Walmart. They were still in a box up on the shelf. I thought they were the little green houses you use your own soil in, but since I had the guy get them down for me I went ahead and bought them.

They do make similar kind of pellets from coco, that is pre-fertilized and does not mold so easy like pellets made from peat. You should try them next time or even right now if you can find them, as once i tried those peat ones and didnt like them at all, because they stay too wet for too long for my tastes.

Walchit said:
I was just hoping to get some sprouts out of them, them move them to my own mix. I will have to check out the coir pellets for sure though

Never did have any luck sprouting anything with those peat pellets and finally they just collected mold. I am sure coco pellets are much better ones, because the stuff is so airy and doest get overly wet. Maybe go and find some of those coco pellets and do a side by side test with them to see who is the winner.

Walchit said:
I have a bunch of seeds in paper towels too, that's how I usually like doing it

Coco kind of acts in a similar airy way, but you dont have to move the seeds away once they sprout and coco pellets are very cheap too, so try them out..I would like to see the results very much. :onfire:

I had problems with Jiffy pellets, too, until GeorgiaGrowhead
explained they need to be expanded with hot water, then mushed
around with your fingers to fully break the compressed layers.  
This makes the plug taller, a bit skinnier, and looser.  Then pull
netting back and fluff up the top a bit, and dibble a new hole or
three.  Since doing this, I've had good luck (when I don't overheat
the germinators!)

:woohoo: germination begins!

Picked up a t5 and a t8 today at Lowes. Both 4 bulb. Gonna wire some plugs on them and figure out what to do about some tables. Figured I could do a side by side on the lights and see if t5 is worth 3 times as much as t8. T5 uses like 88 more watts too I think

Walchit said:
What overheats the germination? My mats seem like they have it pretty warm in there.

The heat mat, so be careful not to overheat the germination that way. Temperature between 25-28°C is good for faster germination, but dont go over it as too much heat can kill the seeds.

Guess I will get the thermometer out, I figured those things had some kind of built in thermostat to keep them from getting to hot

Walchit said:
I hope I can get 100 quarts of tomatoes, what kind do you usually plant?

We have very good luck with the Early Girl variety. They live up to their name; we use them because we have a short spring season. They produce handball sized produce; and a lot of them. I start them from seed January 10th or so; they hit the dirt March 1st if the 10 day forecast is a good one.

Here's how I plant them:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/63309-devv-2017-having-a-good-time-in-the-dirt/page-10

Scroll down to entry #185

This year we're adding Amish Paste to the mix to see how they do here, just 6 this season.

I no longer use the heat mat, I'm getting better results with the small room I use to grow in. I use a small heater when it really gets cold and never see the electric bill go up enough to worry about. When I did use the heat mat I wired in a light dimmer switch to throttle it back some. I also stepped away from the peat pellets, they just stayed wet too long for me. I lost a few babies to dampening with them.

I've had my best success adding 1" of a 5 parts coir,1 part perlite, 1 part potting soil mix on top of regular MG potting soil in 3.5" pots. I soak them in a tray until they're soaked all they way up to the top, add seeds and let them rock. Sometimes I have to mist the slower germing seeds to keep the top moist, but not often. By the time they set the 2nd or 3rd true leaves I move them to the #1 pots.

Walchit said:
I hope the peat pellets sprout, I had all of my stock of some seed in there. I should have known better

I am sure they will, just give them time and go check them out maybe every two days also keep the peat pellets moist not wet. The seeds can even take many weeks to sprout like i have found out.

I put a timer on my heat mat, half hour on then an hour off. Pretty sure it was 97 degrees in the center of the trays

Walchit said:
I had some blossom end rot too, I will probably try that calimagic foliarfeeding this year

Try tossing a 1/3 to 1/2 cup of bone meal into the ground or
containers a month or so before plant-out and your BER
problems should go away.  At least it works for me.

Back