• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Walmart "Habanero"

Bought a bag of prepackaged habaneros at walmart because they looked different than the typical orange habs you always see.

dA1PO8.jpg

When I cut them open they didn't smell at all like habaneros and the amount of seeds and look of the seeds looked like an annuum.

O5mrfq.jpg

I ate a pretty good sized piece of one and it had no habanero flavor and had maybe jalapeno heat.

I'm almost positive it's an annuum varity or possible baccatum.

Anyone have an idea what it is? For now I'm calling it the Walmart Pumpkin.

they look and sound alot like Yellow Pumpkin Season peppers (C. Chinense)
a friend of mine grows them almost every year

just a guess

thanks your friend Joe

I'm going to guess Jamaican mushrooms. ikeepfish informed me yesterday that they're a chenense x annuum cross. They look kind of like habaneros, but have a sweet annuum flavor. 

bonehead1996 said:
Sorry for being ignorant but could someone explain the difference in calyx between annuum and Chinense?
There is no ignorance in asking a question :)

The Calyx is among several features (i.e. flowers, seeds, leafs..etc) which decide (to a certain degree) the pepper specie. even though each family has its own unique calyx shape, within the same family there are groupings or even singled-out calyxes. For example. in the Chinenese Family, the Calyx is small, rounded and has an edge that curves upwards. However, you will find some Calyxes in the Chinense family which look nothing like that.  specifically the wild  ones such as CAP 691 and other wild Brazil.

Similarly, in the Annuum Family, the Calyx looks like a star with 8 points..However, in the Cayenne group the calyx looks nothing like the Bell pepper group even the are from the same family..

Therefore, we cannot use calyx as a definitive indicator of the Capsicum specie but we can have an idea about the pod type. to be more certain, you must look at the flower first. 

PepperLover said:

The Calyx is among several features (i.e. flowers, seeds, leafs..etc) which decide (to a certain degree) the pepper specie. even though each family has its own unique calyx shape, within the same family there are groupings or even singled-out calyxes. For example. in the Chinenese Family, the Calyx is small, rounded and has an edge that curves upwards. However, you will find some Calyxes in the Chinense family which look nothing like that.  specifically the wild  ones such as CAP 691 and other wild Brazil.

Similarly, in the Annuum Family, the Calyx looks like a star with 8 points..However, in the Cayenne group the calyx looks nothing like the Bell pepper group even the are from the same family..

Therefore, we cannot use calyx as a definitive indicator of the Capsicum specie but we can have an idea about the pod type. to be more certain, you must look at the flower first. 
Somebody knows their stuff....

Great explanation Judy

PepperLover said:

Judy, you are like the Merry Poppins of peppers, I love it.

Great explanation thank you :)

Yeah I'm not sure if it's a fatalii, or a hybrid that is similar to a fatalii. I have some fatalii seeds, and the plant is going to be over wintered (Second year actually) so I will be able to compare them directly.

DaQatz said:
H9YY47El.jpg

Also a walmart "Habanero" mind you the rest of the hab seeds came out normal.
To me, DaQatz' pods look like yellow naga. Steiner's looks like a yellow mushroom on the inside, but the outside is different. Not sure what that is.

Back