• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

want 30oz of sauce

I have 2 cases of bottles. I have enough peppers to make 4 sauces with at least two kinds of peppers in each sauce. So I wanna make 30oz of each sauce. What's a good qty of ingredients to make 30oz of sauce?

That's 30 fluid ounces much different than 30 oz. Use a measuring cup and use 35 fluid ounces of ingredients and cook down.

35 oz of "stuff" may not be enough depending on the desired consistency and how much liquid is in there to start with. I've had sauces cook down by as much as 40%. Those were sauces where I used some juices in the recipes. For recipes that are heavy on peppers and other solids,35 oz sounds like a good number to start with. If you are dead-set that you must fill 6 bottles of each flavor, (maybe for Christmas gift packs or something???) then perhaps shoot for 40 oz and if there's a little leftover for the fridge...BONUS!

Measure out 2 quarts, or use a 2 quart measuring cup if you have it. Fill the container up with as much solids as you can get in there, or as much as you think you want in the sauce (peppers, onions, fruits, whatever) and then measure and pour the liquids over the solids up to your desired starting measurement. That will give you a pretty accurate reading of how much you have to work with.

Good Luck, looking forward to pics!

Yeah I know but I remembered how the newbies on here don't cook their sauces long. A lot just bring to a boil for a bit. Also covered/uncovered makes a difference ;). He really has to figure it out for himself it all depends on ingredients and cooking time.

Just write it all down and cook it man. That's how you figure recipes out. Get a food scale for solid measurements.

I will be making the sauce in a week or so. I will be using yellow bhut joloika and lemon drops that I grew. I can take the heat hopefully. I'm just not sure what else to put in the sauce

Back