Want alcohol - Have blackberry, grape, raspberry, and garden fruits

My first thought was blackberry mead, but in general I would like to produce my own alcohol and do not know where to start.  Which is easier: Bier, Wine, Mead, or something else.  My resources include grapes, blackberry, raspberry, and the normal garden sugars like water melon.

Saw cheap ass bier making kit that has everythign.  Would that be a good start?

In other words: Hey sailor wanna get me drunk?

I'm not a master brewer like some of these guys, but I would say no on the cheap ass brewing kit. Reason is, you will end up replacing every item in the cheap ass kit one by one as you get more into brewing, and it will end up costing way more to get decent stuff. Just my $0.02.

read and follow along w/ RocketMan's brew log ...

you conveniently left out hard cider, which is incidentally probably the easiest ....

got airlocks from fermenting peppers/sauces?

lots of types of beer will require cold storage to ferment or condition the bear ...

you want to pair up a yeast w/ your fermentation temperature ...

most of the wine yeasts want to be hot, which is easier to achieve than cold (by location) ...

i don't drink wine, or i'd be making that ...

from what i've seen mead can require cold treatments to condition out, and can often take a long time ... and honey's expensive ...

beer's a pita, and if you just want alcohol, i'm thinking hard cider or jacking ... can you jack there? ...

i know there's places in the TN area where it's pretty common to buck the laws in that re: ... whereas they don't fuck around here ...

you can freeze condense whatever you make to make it stronger, that actually is not illegal, like freeze distillation ...

i'm thinking wine's your play ... since you have grapes, and high ambient temperatures ...

Grant, I left out hard cider cause my apple trees have only been in the ground for two years.  Blackberry are so well established that I mow them down when they invade the walkways.  Thinking blackberry meed in part because i trade produce to a bee keeper.  Hoping this year to put in my first hives.

On ambient temperature, do you mean for making, fermenting or storing?  I have a root cellar dug, just need to build and back fill.  Thinking if it is underground it will be fairly stable temperatures.  How low do they need to be?

Jeff H, if I wanted to do something illegal to get a buzz I would grow pot.  Damn guy, running a still is serious shit.  it is the A in ATF n all.

P.S.  Grant, forgot to mention... I am Germanic and love bier.

I have not been researching mead so far, so I'm not able to help, I'm afraid.

There are folks around these parts who know, though, certainly ...

Back