• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Want to plant out, nothing but rain...

So I've been hardening off all my plants, and am about to flip out I want to plant them so badly. They've been doing just fine, even with 4-5 hours of direct sun with no wilting. Only problem is, that's about all the sun we can cram into one day here in NC before it starts F*$%ing raining! I swear, it has rained EVERY day for the past 3 weeks, and the 10 day forecast seems to indicate more of the same.

My plants obviously want out of their 3 inch pots badly, and I know chiles hate wet feet. These are all destined for raised beds, with one of each variety headed for 5 gallon pots. If I throw caution to the wind and transplant them during rainy weather, am I playing Russian Roulette?

I mean, we're talking scattered thunderstorms, isolated thunderstorms, anywhere between 20-60% chance of rain until May 20th! Christ, these things won't get planted till June!

FiveStar said:
I mean, we're talking scattered thunderstorms, isolated thunderstorms, anywhere between 20-60% chance of rain until May 20th! Christ, these things won't get planted till June!

Well, you'll still have the plants then. If you plant now, they might die and then you'll have nothing. ;)

Ciao FiveStar-

Iggy's right, but I know how you feel. My grow-op is so crammed right now and I still need to sow my cucurbit seeds. Normally I wait until the hardening off phase starts, but it's not looking good for the next week at least. Potawie and I are still getting frost overnight. Try to be patient and so will I. We'll get there.

Sorellina said:
Ciao FiveStar-

Iggy's right, but I know how you feel. My grow-op is so crammed right now and I still need to sow my cucurbit seeds. Normally I wait until the hardening off phase starts, but it's not looking good for the next week at least. Potawie and I are still getting frost overnight. Try to be patient and so will I. We'll get there.

Hmmm, guess you're right. It's just so hard to see pics from guys like AJ and PRF who have theirs outside basking, while mine have to wait on the porch. Maybe I'll just pot them up to slightly larger homes in the mean time. It will at least make me feel more productive...

RichardK said:
It rains a lot in spring :)

orly~2.jpg

How many plants of each variety do you have? If you have more than one, plant half and pot up the other half. That way if things go badly it won't be a total loss.

Well that's the thing... I have 6-8 of each chinense variety, but once they're in the raised bed, I'll likely leave them, unless they look like they're near death. The bitch of it is.. I've got just enough room for most all of my plants, so trying to wait this business out and get them in the ground at the right moment.

Of course, every time I worry about planting out too late, I'm gonna look at the pics of Josh's habs that were seeded about a week or two from now last year and decide that if given the right conditions, I can't be THAT late!

I will wait this one out. Now to bring them all in, as temps will be in the mid forties (F) tonight. DAMN YOU MARCH!!!!!

Back