• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce want to start a pepper sauce collection ? any suggestons ?

I would like to start collecting hot pepper sauces .. Is there any just haves that are essential to my collection
All suggestions and why would be greatly appreciated .
~Sassyhott <3

Just start hoarding anything and everything I reckon! ;)

Unless you are planning on using them, I wouldn't be fussy at this point. Tabascos, Cholulas... whatever is available on the shelves of local grocery stores, etc.....

You gotta start somewhere!

good places to start hunting are the local organic stores. Also the higher end markets may have some good ones. Same with kitchen stores. I have found lots of ghost pepper sauces like this but in order to find scorpion sauces i had to go online. there are plenty of online hot sauce shops and i basically just ordered from the one closest so i could get my sauce sooner!

My first truly hot sauce was the Tropical Pepper Ghost Pepper Sauce. they have it in asheville at harris teeter and earthfare for about 3 bucks.

good luck!

Howdy miss Sassy !

I started a collection about 2 months ago , and like bigpapa said ... I just started buying at local super markets , HEB , walmart , lopez super market , and I think that bass pro shop is closer to you there in Rio Hondo .... But they have some good ones there too

Good luck , and have fun !

Are you planning on using them, or just collecting?

Personally, I only buy sauces that I am going to use. [At least I do now...] I still have some extract sauces that I will probably never finish, but that is just because of my own opinions on the flavor vs heat argument. I don't want to use a sauce for the sake of heat alone... I want a good flavor. On occasion I will add some Blair's to a pot of chili to add a bit more heat, but with all of the superhots we have, I don't have much need for extract. [others will definitely differ on opinion here, but this is just my $0.02, and I am not trying to make any blanket claims. Find out what you like, and go for it!]

Amazon carries a wide variety of sauces, along with places like firegirl.com, hotsauce.com, etc.

Also be sure to check the offerings that THP members have. For instance, luckydoghotsauce, SalsaLady, etc. [only named a couple... sorry if you feel left out... Not my intention. :) ]

Cassy, If you are interested in online purchasing of great sauces, these are my suggestions. All of these sauce makers are forum members here.

Heart Breaking Dawns; aka Johny and Nicole ; 1498, 1542, 1841, and Mango Habenero
http://heartbreakingdawns.com/

TexasCreek Products (Washington state) aka Salsalady; Ghost Fire Hot Sauce, Tropical Ghost Hot sauce Glaze, Garlic and Smoked Habanero Hot sauce
http://www.texascreekproducts.com/

Kneppers Peppers, aka JustaGuy aka Brian; Piney Hab Extreme, Habermelon, 7th Circle
http://www.knepperspeppers.com/

Zane & Zack's World Famous Honey Co. aka Sam and Tina; Stinger X, Honey Habanero Hot sauce
http://www.zandzhoneyco.com/

Also anything from Cajohn's, Race City Sauces, lots more I can't think of right now.
Mike

@ gasificada I really don't want to collect just to collect ... Hoarding wasn't my goal ..
But I will follow your suggestion to start .. I just want to know about any sauces reccommended either for heat or for taste ..

@ Bigpappapepper... Will definetly start looking for Organic shops !! Thanxs

@ Tex .. I went to h.e.b. .. and some other little corner stores .. just didn't know what to buy ... Any suggestions ? Brands ? Your favorite ?

@westin .. yea is like to get some good tasting sauce and when im done with them .. maybe a nice display ... I wanted some recomendations ...appreciate it ! Blairs.huh ...

@Capsidadburn ... Thank you so.much .. got So much homework ~ thank you thank you !

This is all great information ...
Thank ya'll
~Sassyhott <3

Cajohns trinidad sauce is really good and hot. If you can find it I would grab it.

Daves insanity sauce to me tasted like battery acid but it is an extract sauce. Might be good to heat up a pot of chili but I don't think I will even use it for that.

Melindas Naga Jolokia is pretty good and very hot. it was only $3 at world market

Hope this helpes a little
Cheers
Chris

Well Sassy pick Dave's Insanity at H.E.B
IMG_20120620_104833.jpg
Texas mopping sauce x 3Tbls of Dave's = awsom wing sauce !

Picked this up at Bass Pro Shop at Harlingen .
It has scotch bonnet peppers in it....
IMG_20120627_203406.jpg

Havent tryed the Colon Cleaner yet .. Jusy thought the name was pretty neat

Tex ..
Thank you For posting some pics... It was mighty nice of ya to go the extra mile ... So Texas mopping sauce ... Huh ... I'm gonna look for it .. Thank you :)

@ Landman
Thank you for your suggestions as well ... I'll be looking for that Cajohn Trinidad sauce .. ((( can't say i have ever tasted a battery ... I'll take your word ... Lol )))
I bought the Melinda sauce Ketchup its hot . And i also have the Dave insanity ... I use it to add lil heat ..
greatly appreciated ..

~Sassyhott<3

This is not a self-promotion area please. Once one starts, all the saucemakers add theirs and it becomes an ad as you can see.

Promotion-free please. I am not giving warnings but you guys are regulars and know this.

Posts removed.

We give you plenty of places to promote just because someone is seeking a sauce doesn't mean you need to advertise. This is the discussion area. Thanks

I have become a fan of several hot sauces since I became a member at THP. I tend to like savory sauces that aren't overpowering with blistering heat.

Texas Creek makes excellent products. LOVE their chipotle BBQ sauce, and the garlic/hab sauce is terrific.

I am also a fan of DEFCON for fantastic wing sauces and their terrific horseradish.

Knepper's Peppers makes fantastic fruit-based hot sauces (or infused? not sure how to put that - they have fruit in 'em) and I'm a huge fan of both DavezFoodz "sweet spicy girl" and RedHawk Premium Peppers "Grounds For Divorce.

Another quality pepper grower/sauce maker is Howling Dog, who makes Howling Dog Hot Sauce - I was pretty burned out on the same old same old chipotle flavor until I tried their lightly smoked sauce - man that's good stuff.

All of these (with the exception of DEFCON) are "table sauces" - nothing crazy, no need to make a wager or video yourself eating them. Just very tasty well crafted hot sauce products.

Some I like have been mentioned in this topic - the Professor Phardpounder's is really tasty stuff and I love the label/bottle.

A really good, but extremely mild sauce is The Cheech Gnarly Garlic - it's really tasty but I wish it had some balls. I may throw some of Knepper's scorpion powder into mine to try and "improve" it a little.

CaJohn's Trinidad is excellent, but like many "island style" sauces they aren't always as versitile.

For a "sour" Louisiana Style sauce with a twist, I am a fan of the Yukatan Sunshine - killer label too.

There's a LOT more than this though...I'm sure more will hit me later. Maybe it goes without saying, but Sriracha is a terrific mild garlic chili sauce that's surprisingly versitile and is great in marinades.

Tapatio is what it is, but I think every home should have a bottle - it's simplicity allows it to be extremely useful in cooking. When I make guacamole I *always* throw in 3-4 hearty squirts of tapatio for a little salt and vinegar with a kick.

I hope this isn't considered shilling/promoting in any way - I'm very much a sauce eater/collector, talking about some of my favorites and recommending them to anyone who's starting a collection. I don't know every saucemaker I listed, just a few. :cheers:

I keep photos of sauces I buy, but I eat all the sauce. I reuse the bottles, so collecting them isn't for me either. That being said, browse the forums for tons of cool, collectible sauces.

Back